Family Fiction posted September 28, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When do you stop a friend from doing something wrong?

Maybe

by GWHARGIS

Maybe I should have stopped her. Just put my hand across her glass. I know her, she would have waited until I pulled it away.

Maybe I should have told her she had started to cross that line. Four glasses of Chardonnay had started messing up her mind. The alcohol had loosened her tongue.

Maybe I should have led by example. I should have told her it was time to go. But I didn't have the problem.

Maybe I should have taken her keys. Maybe I should have called a cab. Four glasses of Chardonnay have no business behind the wheel.

Next time. Maybe next time I'll take the bull by the horns. Tell her like it is.

Maybe I should have worn green. It was always her favorite color. But mourning is meant for black.

Maybe I should have brought tissues and hid behind dark glasses.

Maybe I should have told her that I thought she had a problem. Things would have been uncomfortable, but I would have been a better friend.

Maybe one day I won't feel like I should have done something.



Recognized


Written with a dear friend in mind. Losing her to another friend is difficult but losing her to alcohol is hell.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.