Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted September 5, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A guide for inner peace

Addictions

by Spitfire




















Most of us are addicted to something.  Which scenario best fits your life?

1.  You  have a doctor's appointment at nine. It's almost ten. The doctor is
    running late - again.  Blood pressure rises along with a bad temper. Stress
     shoots through your body. You'll give that man a piece of your mind.

2.   You're a mother with a teenager who doesn’t mind clutter. Orders are given:
     "Clean up your room." An hour later, you  check it out.  Nothing has changed.
     You scream and holler.  Your child slams the door. A rift keeps widening. 

3.   You're a great writer and enter a fictional wonder on one of  FanStory's paying
      contests.  Winners announced. You didn't even place. Your DNA changes to
      that of a  tiger.

In all three cases, you're a victim of addiction.  You're addicted to the outcome of a situation.

Case 1:  You're addicted to time.
Case 2:  You're addicted to order.
Case 3:  You're addicted to success.

So what's wrong with that, you ask?  What's wrong with wanting doctors to speed up, children to be neat, judges to be wise?   Nothing—as long as you don't let these desires/ addictions rule your life. 

We can't control others. But we can control our reactions to what happens around us.   By getting upset, you endanger your emotional and physical self.  Addictions to the  outcome of a situation can lead to anger, resentment, depression .

My advice?  Update additions to preferences.

I prefer my doctor to see me on time.
I prefer my children to keep tidy rooms.
I prefer the judges recognize my talent.

Replace "want" or "need" with "PREFER."  The word puts your demands in proper perspective and keeps you from becoming an addict.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Spitfire All rights reserved.
Spitfire has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.