Romance Fiction posted June 17, 2012 Chapters:  ...69 70 -71- 72... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna remembers

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part two, Chapter 21

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna's a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Troy laid Anna on the couch and adjusted two throw pillows under her head. "Are you comfortable? Mom's getting you something to drink."

"I'm feeling better. I don't know what came over me. I guess I'm weaker than I thought."

Betty handed Anna a glass of water. "This will help."

Anna took a sip. "I'm ready to start packing."

"Whoa. You're staying put for a little while. Mom knows how to pack. She's had years of practice. Right, Mom?"

"Anna, I think two suitcases will be enough and Michael's things will be easy. I'll take a few toys and wait on the rest. If I have any questions, I'll ask." Betty headed toward Anna's room.

Anna heard male voices and raised up to see who was talking. She saw Paul and Everett standing at the front door. I knew Everett wouldn't be far away. I wonder what they're discussing. I guess it's a need to know basis and I don't have a need to know.

She focused on the wall across from her. There used to be something on that here. I wonder what? And what happened to it? An ice-cold feeling spread throughout Anna's body and threatened her being. I'm afraid. But why?

She tried to stand.

"You need rest." Troy touched Anna's shoulder. "You're not going to listen to me, are you?"

"I need to see something."

"Let me help you."

Once Anna was on her feet, Troy stayed close to steady her.

She crept over to the wall and rubbed her hand where the object had hung. A painting was here. Of what? She closed her eyes. Concentrate, you can remember. She cringed. How could a painting hurt me?

Moments later, Anna glanced toward Paul, who still visited with Everett. As she studied him, she blinked her eyes a few times.

As tears rolled down her cheeks, she covered her mouth. "Aunt Margaret gave me a painting of Paul and Michael taking a nap. It hung here." She turned toward Troy. "What happened to it?" She placed her hand on top of her head. Somehow it hit me in the head. Did it fall off the wall? She stared and rubbed her hand against the wall. No, it couldn't have.

When she glanced away, she saw a broken lamp sitting on a table. She noticed the sun's glare through the porch glass door, looked down, and saw blood on the cement.

Anna felt her legs weaken and leaned against Troy. "Something bad happened here."

Troy touched her chin and gently turned her head toward him. Her tear- filled eyes met his, as she asked, "Bobby's out of jail, isn't he? Who did he hurt?"

"He will not hurt you, again." Troy ran his fingers through his short brown hair and paused before he continued, "Bobby's ...."

"Troy," Betty interrupted as she rushed into the room. "Would you carry those two suitcases to the car?" She pointed toward the bedroom. "Anna, I'll finish with Michael's things, then we'll leave. I'm sure you can't wait to hold your son."

Anna watched Betty go into Michael's room, then watched Troy carry two suitcases toward the door. He stopped and said something to Paul. I wonder what Troy and his dad are discussing. I'm left out of a lot of conversations. I wonder what they're trying hard not to tell me. Is it about what happened in my apartment?

Paul and Everett walked over and stood beside Anna. She smiled. "I guess Troy told you it's your turn to babysit."

Paul chuckled. "Not exactly. He told me you're still a little unsteady on your feet."

Everett leaned over and kissed her cheek. "I'm glad you're doing better. You had us worried for a while." He glanced toward Paul, then back at Anna. "I've talked with the apartment manager and he's okayed some changes I'd like to make to your security system. I'll discuss them with you later. There's no need to rush things."

Why do I need security? I'm not a threat to anybody. None of this makes sense.

Betty returned to the living room. "I have Michael all packed. I packed most of his toys. Paul, would you get his suitcase and little chair? Then we're ready to leave."

Everett patted Paul on the back. "I'll get them. You get your ladies to the car."

Paul offered Anna his arm and smiled. "May I have the pleasure of escorting you?"

Anna took the offered arm and headed toward the door. She stopped, turned, and scanned the apartment. I know awful things happened here. I can feel it, but what?

*****
Once inside Betty and Paul's home, Anna held and hugged Michael. As Margaret took him upstairs for a nap, Anna walked toward the stairs. "I think I'll lie down for a while."

Paul glanced at Betty. "Don't you have the downstairs guest bedroom set up for Anna?"

"Yes, the doctor said no stairs." She took Anna's arm. "Come with me."

Betty helped Anna get comfortable. "We'll unpack later this afternoon." She drew the curtains. "Rest as long as you need to. We'll be in the living room if you need anything."

Anna watched Betty leave the door cracked slightly as she left.

Within minutes, Anna fell into a restless sleep.

*****
"Shh ...." Strong arms pulled her into an embrace. "Everything's okay. It was just a dream."

Anna resisted until she recognized Troy's voice.

"Michael?"

"He's finished his nap and is playing with Grandpa." Troy held her and gently stroked her back.

Anna struggled to sit.

Troy helped, then wiped the tears from her cheeks. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She nodded. "I need to figure out what's real and what isn't."

Troy took her hand in his and waited for her to continue.

"At first Michael's image was blurred. He cried out for me. Instead of going to him, I felt myself flying through the air, hitting a wall. I got up and scratched at a metal door as I screamed for Michael. Nobody heard me. I tried to get to my baby, but I couldn't. I cried, 'My baby's alone outside!'"

Anna paused and closed her eyes. Her breaths were short and labored. "An evil face glared at me. He struck my cheekbone." She raised her hand to the bruise and lacerations on her cheek. "A male voice screamed and emphasized each word with blows to my face and kicks to my stomach."

She felt the stitches from the spleen surgery. "He threw me around the room with ease. It was Bobby, wasn't it?" After Troy nodded, Anna continued, "Why wasn't he in jail?"

"He got out on parole. Nobody expected him to be released so early."

"What about Michael?"

"Bobby forced you inside and left Michael outside the apartment. The teenager with the dogs heard Michael's cries and called the police. He took care of him until the police arrived." Troy paused. "Was that the end of your dream?"

"No. I searched for a place to hide, but couldn't find one. Once, I tried to escape. I yelled for him to stop hitting and kicking me, but he didn't." Anna hesitated. "Then he took Aunt Margaret's painting and slammed it over my head." She reached up and felt the stitches in her head. "I fell to the ground and couldn't get up. Somehow, I grabbed the lamp and kept hitting Bobby."

With her hand on a strand of hair, she pulled. "He yanked me to my feet by my hair and dragged me into the kitchen. I kept fighting, but he was too strong. He found a knife and held it to my throat."

Her finger caressed the cut on her neck. "Then I heard a gunshot. I was afraid he'd shot Michael." She wiped a tear. "That's all I remember." Her eyes met his. "It's true, isn't it? Who was shot?"

"Bobby's dead. He can't hurt you anymore. A Police sniper shot him."

Anna placed her arms around Troy, tightly holding him and wept.

"Is this what you and your parents have been hiding from me?"

"We weren't hiding it from you. We were waiting until you were ready to remember."

"Don't leave me."

"I'm staying here as long as you want me." Troy brushed the loose hair from her eyes. "You need to get some rest. I'll lie beside you and be your dream catcher."







Recognized


Thank you google images for the dream catcher. I felt is fit the mood of this post.

This is part two of Chapter 21, a much longer chapter. It CANNOT stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel. I'm not sure if I have one or two chapters left until I finish the novel. I'm hoping now that I'm on summer break that my posts will be longer.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.