Romance Fiction posted June 10, 2012 Chapters:  ...68 69 -70- 71... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna leaves the hospital.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part one, Chapter 21

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
A young nurse helped Anna into a wheelchair. "I know the stitches make it uncomfortable to sit." She handed Anna a piece of paper. "The doctor wrote this prescription to help ease the pain."

"I'm fine." Anna cringed. "I'm sure they'll heal in no time. I'm already stronger." She glanced toward Betty. "Thank you for agreeing to go to the apartment with me. I'll need some things and so will Michael."

"Before Paul left to sign the release papers, he called Everett to make sure there wouidn't be any problems."

"I'm sure there won't be. Speaking of problems, I hope Michael isn't causing Margaret any."

"I doubt it." Betty glanced at her watch, then smiled when Troy walked through the door. "I thought you should be returning. How's the traffic?"

"Not bad. Aunt Margaret and Michael are discussing what to fix for lunch." He grinned at Anna and chuckled. "Your little guy has definite opinions and isn't afraid to voice them."

The nurse stepped behind Anna and took control of the wheelchair. "Mr. Whitman, would you hold the door? I'm sure Mr. Sorenson's almost finished with the paperwork." After Troy opened the door, the nurse pushed the wheelchair into the hall.

Within moments, Paul joined them. "Are you sure you're up for your apartment?" His eyes met Anna's.

Troy stepped between his dad and Anna. "Why are we going there?"

"It was my decision." Anna released a deep breath. "I don't understand why you feel the need to protect me from my own apartment." She glared at Troy. "It's not necessary for you to come along. Your mom and dad will help."

"It's not your apartment I'm worried about." Troy bit his bottom lip. "We're all here. Let's go."

Paul went ahead of the group to bring the car closer. They maneuvered through the crowded hospital halls with Troy ahead of them to hold the glass doors open.

Outside, Troy opened the rear passenger car door, and steadied Anna as the nurse helped her get into the car.

Once seated, Anna let out a deep breath.

"Are you doing all right?" Paul turned from the driver's seat.

"Crunching down to get inside was a little rough, but now I'm okay." Anna watched Betty and Troy talking outside the car. I wonder what they're discussing.

Moments later Troy opened the passenger front door. Betty entered. "Thank you, Troy."

I guess they were discussing who was going to sit by me.

Troy walked around to the other side, sat beside Anna, and touched her hand. "You look like you're already tired."

"It won't take long at the apartment." She stared out the window. "I wish everybody would quit fussing over me. I'm all right."

*****
Within minutes, Paul pulled up to the gate. "Anna, what's your code?"

"It's ...." Anna sat silent for a few moments. "I know this. Just a minute." Silence filled the car. "It's Michael's birthday."

"09172011," Betty said. "Most codes are four to six digits. This one's a little longer."

Paul punched in the numbers and the gate rose slowly.

"I can't believe I forgot my son's birthday." Tears welled in her eyes.

"With everything you've been through, it's amazing you remember as much as you do." Troy took her hand in his. "You're shaking. Are you sure you're all right?"

With her free hand, Anna wiped her eyes. "I'm sensing fear, but I'm not sure why. It doesn't make sense."

After Troy let out a deep breath, she asked, "What are you not telling me?"

The car crept closer to the apartment. What's happening? What's wrong with me? What happened here? The closer I get to my home, the more I'm afraid.

Troy put his arm around Anna. "Dad, I think we need to try this a different day. Anna's trembling."

Paul pulled the car over and stopped.

"I'm fine, really. For some reason I need to do this. Please continue."

Betty turned toward Anna. "Are you sure, sweetheart? We can do this tomorrow."

"Something inside me says I need to do this. Did something happen here?"

Anna watched the three look at each other, then she asked, "What happened?"

Betty pointed down the road. "Paul, I think we need to continue."

"I agree." Troy tightened his arm around Anna.

Paul continued and parked in front of Anna's apartment.

Troy got out and rushed to open Anna's door and offered his arm for support.

After Anna stood in the parking lot, the teenager who owned the two large dogs came up to her. "Ms. Rodgers, I'm glad to see you're doing better."

"Thank you." How does he know I was injured? Maybe because I'm covered with bruises, stitches and a cast on my arm. She glanced at the cast.

Paul came around the car and said, "I want to reward you for the help you gave Anna and Michael. Could you write your phone number down so I can speak with your parents?"

Anna watched Paul for a few moments. I wonder how the teenager helped us. All I remember is one of his dogs bit Troy.

Troy placed his arm around her. "Let me help you up the curb."

On the sidewalk, Anna noticed some yellow tape tied to a bush. That looks like crime scene tape. What happened here and what does it have to do with me? Anna shuddered.

Betty rushed to her side. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know. There's something about this place. I don't understand."

Troy moved her head to his chest. "I'm here. Lean on me."

Paul walked over. "Do we need to abort the mission?"

"No. I'm ready." Anna stepped away from Troy. "Let's go in." She stood by the door and ran her finger by the broken door lock. "This can't be good. Did somebody break-in?"

Paul opened the door.

Anna turned and studied the cement outside the door. "Why was Michael out here? This doesn't make sense. I'd never leave him outside." She took a step inside, put her hand over her mouth, and whispered, "Oh my God!" She grabbed the door frame.

Troy put his arms around her. "What's wrong?"

The room's swirling. A dizzy spell overtook Anna and she collapsed against his chest.

While Betty got her a glass of water, Troy carried her to the couch.




Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


I have gone back to my orginal artwork. Thank you Brian, for painting it for me.

This post is part one of Chapter 21, a much longer chapter. It can not stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel. I am not sure if I have one or two chapters to go until I finish the novel. I am hoping now that I am on summer break that my posts will be longer.

For those of you who are interested my kittens have been found not quilty because they are too cute and too young to know any better. One fan said my Diva did all the dasterly deed and blamed it on the kittens. My kittens will get only loved and cuddled. Right now they are napping. They had a very busy morning. Subject for another short story.

My husband and I are going to Corpus Christi for a few days, so I won't be around until Wednesday or Thursday.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.