Romance Fiction posted May 6, 2012 Chapters:  ...63 64 -65- 66... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New information comes to light.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

part one, Chapter 20

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Troy stared toward the recovery room double doors and crept toward them. He placed his right hand on the handle, cracked it open, and peered in. Damn, I can't see a thing.

Paul placed his hand on his son's back. "You might as well have a seat. They won't tell us anything until they're ready. We don't know if the emergency is with Anna or someone else. Patience is the key word here."

"You're right, but...." Troy hesitated and rubbed the back of his neck. "I guess I'm not good at waiting."

"As a teenager, patience wasn't one of your stronger areas." He turned and walked toward the seats. "Let's sit."

"Can I at least sit and stare at the door?"

Paul shook his head as he sat.

*****
Troy glanced at his watch. We've been sitting here over an hour; still no news. What's taking so long?

Everett walked up behind Troy and Paul. "I knew I'd be back before you found out anything."

"Almost two hours ago, there was a code blue in the recovery room." Troy stood.

"We don't know if it involved Anna. Troy, sit."

After moving a chair in front of the two men, Everett sat. "I have news that should make you both happy."

"What?" Troy's eyes widened.

"Slim owns about three acres of land west of town off County Road 2314. There's a large aluminum building on the property. These three dirt bags ran a chop shop out of it. It's even set up to remove cars' VIN numbers so all parts could be sold. It appears Rodgers was the main mechanic who broke the cars down. Slim took care of the car stealing and Ted was responsible for moving the parts. They made thousands of dollars."

Paul rubbed his head. "Why did Bobby sell Anna's car? He could've stripped it and she'd never have known what happened."

"My guess." Everett paused. "He didn't want to take the chance it would lead back to the chop shop."

"Makes sense, I guess." Troy glanced toward his Dad. "This will put those two away for a long time, right?"

He nodded. "Yes. Auto theft is a felony."

Troy sighed. "At least something's going right."

"That's just the beginning." Everett grinned. "It seems not only were those three into stealing cars. Back behind their building was about half an acre of marijuana plants surrounded by a corn field and covered with white screening. You know the type gardeners use for protection." He chuckled. "And an illegal still. They made White Lightin'."

"Is there anything these guys weren't into?" Paul shook his head.

"Rumor has it they did a little dog fighting, but the police haven't found any evidence, yet. They're still searching."

Troy stood. "Dad, will any of this affect Anna?"

"I doubt she knew about it. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out."

As the three men continued to talk, a heavy-set middle-aged nurse walked up to them. "Are you waiting on Ms. Rodgers?"

Paul and Troy both stood and answered, "Yes."

"As soon as we clean her up and move her into a room, you may sit with her."

"What about the Code Blue?" Troy asked.

"Ms. Rodgers didn't code. Under the circumstances she's doing fine." She walked through the recovery room doors.

"That's good news." Paul sat and watched Troy pace.

"I don't think you should encourage that boy to drink coffee." Everett grinned.

"You may have a point." Paul chuckled.

*****
Another hour passed before the same nurse motioned for the three men to join her. "I'll show you to Ms. Rodgers' room."

They followed her down a long grey hallway. She stopped and pointed to her right. "Ms. Rodgers is in room 423. The doctor will be in shortly to talk with you." She turned to leave, but stopped, and said, "The anesthesia has worn off, but she's still in a coma. As you might know, she may be able to hear you. Please keep your comments positive."

The three men sighed as they watched the nurse walk away.

Troy held up his hand, effectively stopping Paul and Everett from following him into the room. He stood beside the bed. I knew that bastard beat her. He rubbed his eyes as he stared at the bruises, bandages, and assorted tubes that adorned Anna's face and arms. I'm sorry the bastard could only die once. I'd like to have a go at him.

*****
He slowly lifted Anna's hand, careful not to disturb the IV. "Anna, I love you. Please come back to me."







Recognized


My husband, Brian took this photo of a wild Indian Blanket at a field close to our house. I thought I would use it for this post since I have already discussed Indian Blankets.

This post is part one of Chapter 20, a much longer chapter. It can not stand alone. If you are just joining me, welcome, but you may be confused because this post is part of a much longer novel. I am beginning to rethink the romance classification.
I am trying to post and the kittens are playing with the keyboard. I set them on the floor and they climb my leg, to play with the key board. Oh dear!!!!!

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.