General Fiction posted April 11, 2012 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Alex cleans up

A chapter in the book Assassin

Seven

by Bill Schott



"Alex, you must listen to me." Beatrice's words seemed to go right past her husband, as he busied himself with a briefcase. He'd purchased a used one at a rummage sale. He would eventually use it to carry the money for the ransom drop.

The idea had evolved out of an argument Alex and Beatrice had been having over her son's trust fund. The money had been held in a protected account, enforced with a court order, to keep it away from Beatrice and her new husband, Alex.  After her son Freddy's funeral, Clifford, Beatrice's father, had taken legal action to prevent them from gaining control of the money.

"What you're doing is wrong, Alex." She felt he wasn't listening as he tapped the number into the single use phone.  Affecting a Southern drawl he barked his demands to the startled woman on the other end of the connection.

After his father-in-law was found dead, Alex and Beatrice became heirs to his fortune, as well as recipients of the trust fund. There had been no trouble shifting all of the liquid assets into their joint accounts.

This kidnapping made it necessary to remove almost half of the money to use as ransom. It would probably all fit nicely into the rummage sale briefcase.

"Alex, you simply can't go through with this." He paid no attention, but moved out of the door to his car.  He would have to meet with his neighbor, Ms. Dove, about the important message she had recently received from her housekeeper.

"It was terrible Alex," Dixie Dove remarked, through her pouting lips. "Eloise, my housekeeper, was tee-totally terrified when she got the call."

"I must inform the police immediately," Alex insisted, with a dramatic flair that identified him as a remarkably noble man in the seemingly vacuous eyes of Ms. Dove.

She insisted, "Eloise said that the guy said that horrible things would happen to your wife if you let the cops know."

"All right," he returned, with a look of determination and brilliance. "I'll withdraw the money and deliver it. You call the police after I leave and tell them what you know."

She agreed. He left for the bank. After signing dozens of papers and listening to impromptu investment strategies, Alex left the bank and headed back to Beatrice.

Beatrice was on the bed, where he'd left her.  "Alex, you have to let me go. Untie me Alex. This is never going to work."

Alex chuckled as he pulled on the latex gloves. Freddy's motorcycle accident in the mountains had been a piece of cake. Clifford drank the poison and went off to the big sleep. This family's tragedy would now end with the senseless murder of his beloved wife. He thought, as he finished strangling Beatrice, that the local police should arrive just in time to be too late.

After a fruitless investigation and a reasonable time of mourning, Alex married his neighbor, Dixie Dove. Dixie had been widowed six times. Soon - seven.


 



Kidnapped! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You are challenged to write a story about a kidnapping. Maximum word count is 500 words.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.