Romance Fiction posted November 12, 2011 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy has a surprise for Anna.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part one, Chapter 13

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The following weekend Anna and Michael moved back into their apartment. Monday morning Anna's schedule returned to normal; Michael at daycare and she at work.

Close to noon Anna left her office and stopped by Ginger's desk. "I'm taking a lunch break. I'll see you in about thirty minutes."

Ginger nodded toward the door and grinned. "You may want to take a longer break. That 'hunk' you said was taken by a gorgeous blonde has been standing outside our door for almost fifteen minutes. I think he's waiting for you."

A smile erupted across Anna's lips. "I wonder what he wants."

"I'm guessing he wants you." Ginger shrugged. "But I could be mistaken," she teased.

Anna opened the door and stepped outside. "I didn't expect to see you. Is something wrong?"

"Everything's fine. I thought you might like a picnic in the park." Troy held up a large brown bag. "I took the liberty of getting our lunch." He looked up at the sky. "It's a beautiful day. Not a cloud anywhere. Will you have lunch with me?"

Anna tilted her head. "Think it would be all right with your dad?"

Troy chuckled. "I think so. Your divorce is final and the papers have been filed. Having lunch together in a public park certainly wouldn't give anyone reason to suggest you're an unfit mother. Willing to give it a try?"

She nodded. "Let's do it. After eating your mom's cooking this past week, I need the exercise."

He stood back, allowed his eyes to roam down her body, and laughed. "One round trip to the park and back should take-off any unwanted pounds."

Anna shook her head. "I'm beginning to wonder if you're ever serious."

"I'm very serious when the occasion arises." Troy pointed straight ahead. "The park is this way."

"I know where the park is." Anna studied his face for a few moments. "I've only seen the serious side on a few occasions."

He took her arm. "We're wasting your lunch break discussing my serious side. Walk, my dear."

Anna saluted. "Yes sir!"

Troy shook his head. "I'll never win with you, will I?"

*****
At the park the couple found a picnic table under an oak tree. Anna smiled and pointed. "I think we scared the squirrels. Did you see how fast they scampered up the tree?"

"I'm sure once we leave they'll be back to gathering and hiding acorns." He opened the bag. "I hope you like turkey breast and Swiss cheese sandwiches." After Anna nodded, Troy continued, "I have fresh fruit, chips, and bottled water. I hope that's OK."

"Sounds good." She searched everything he set out. "You didn't get one of the bookstores' famous chocolate chip cookies?"

Troy chuckled. "You've been around Dad too long."

Anna's lips pouted, then her head jerked toward the rumble of a loud muffler. Her body trembled.

Troy's hand covered hers. "He's in jail, Anna. He can't hurt you."

After a gulp, she whispered, "Do you think I'll ever be completely free of Bobby?"

"It's been one problem after another, but I think it's all behind you. I'm here to help and so are my parents."

"I know."

They ate the rest of their lunch in silence.

As Anna took the last bite of sandwich, she glanced at her watch. "I need to get back to work. It's getting late." After they through the trash away, the walked silently back to her office.

At the door, Troy held Anna's hand. "I'll see you later, all right?"

She stared at their hands, nodded, and went inside the building. I want to believe he's real, but I'm afraid happiness isn't in the cards for me.

*****
That evening as Anna headed toward her car, Troy walked up. "Do you have time to go someplace before you pick up Michael?"

"Not really, why?"

He glanced toward his car. "I really want you to come with me. Can Mom get Michael and then we'll get him later?"

"You're in one of your serious moods, aren't you?"

Troy nodded. "I'm parked over here. I made a special trip home to switch my motorcycle for the car. I couldn't picture you riding on the back wearing that skirt." He led her toward the car.

"I appreciate the thoughtfulness. Where we going?"

He grinned. "We'll stop by the daycare so you can make arrangements for Mom to pick up Michael."

At the day care center, Anna added Betty's name to the appropriate paperwork, then the couple went back to the car. When they were seated, Anna asked, "Now where?"

"You'll find out soon enough." Troy left the parking area. "It's only a few miles down the road."

Troy parked outside an older four-story red brick building. Anna stared at it through the windshield. "Why we here?" Anna stepped from the open car door.

"Trust me. You'll find out soon enough."

Anna turned and started to walk away.

He stood in front of her. "Please trust me."

She chewed on her lower lip. "Your mom and dad know about this?"

He nodded.

She swallowed loudly. "OK, I'll trust you this once."



Recognized


Thank you for reading and reviewing. This is the beginning of chapter 13. If you are reading my novel for the first time you may be confused.
SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number

experts say:
After getting out of an abusive situation, you may be eager to jump into a new relationship and finally get the intimacy and support you've been missing. But it's wise to go slow. Take the time to get to know yourself and to understand how you got into your previous abusive relationship. Without taking the time to heal and learn from the experience, you're at risk of falling back into abuse.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.