Romance Fiction posted October 30, 2011 Chapters:  ...36 37 -38- 39... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy talks with Anna

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 2, Chapter 12

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Paul rose from his chair and shouted, "I object! Neither my son nor I are on trial." He walked toward the judge's bench, glaring over his shoulder at his opponent.

Anna stood. "What?"

Judge Sawyer banged his gavel. "Order in my courtroom. One more outburst and I'll fine all of you with contempt of court. Mr. Brown and Mr. Sorenson, my chambers. Now!"

Paul turned toward Anna and whispered, "I'll be right back."

Tears streamed down her cheeks. It can't be true, can it? Her hand covered her mouth. He was afraid I'd touch his blood when he scratched himself on the picnic table. She grabbed her purse and ran out the door.

*****
Moments later, Paul returned to the courtroom. Where's Anna? I brought her here today so she doesn't have any transportation. He scanned the room. Maybe she's with Everett. He's missing, too. Paul removed his cellphone and searched for Anna's number. She didn't answer. He then tried Everett. That call was answered on the first ring. "Everett, are you with Anna?"

After Paul listened a few moments, he hung up and called Troy. "Son, we have a problem and you need to meet me as soon as possible at the community park on Fifth Street. I'll wait in the parking lot."

When Troy got off his motorcycle, he met his dad and asked, "What's the problem? Where's Anna? Why aren't you in court?"

"We're in recess until tomorrow. Let's walk and talk." The men headed toward the pond bank. "The Rodgers' attorney dug up dirt and Anna knows about your Hepatitis B." Paul rubbed his forehead. "More accurately, she thinks you've exposed Michael to a life-threatening disease."

A few yards from Anna, Paul and Troy met up with Everett. He removed his cap, ran his hand through his hair and said, "Sorry about today. I didn't get served until fifteen minutes before the trial. There was no way to warn you. Brown plays dirty."

"I've already figured that out. How's Anna?"

Everett nodded toward her. "She's a mess. She's just sitting under the oak tree crying."

Paul walked toward her. Troy put his hand on his dad's arm. "I need to handle this one. You can explain the courtroom fiasco later. Wait here."

Paul watched his son walk toward Anna. "Good luck."

*****
Troy sat on the grass beside Anna. "I can explain."

Anna quickly stood and took a step away. "I don't want to hear any more lies."

"I'm not a threat to Michael or you. Please listen. If you still want me out of your life, I'll stay away."

With a glance down at him and a sigh, she said, "You better talk fast."

"I contracted Hepatitis B when I was a child. I was diagnosed at twelve. Most people heal, only ten percent of the cases become chronic." He studied his hands. "You can't catch it from me coughing or sneezing around you, or by touching, hugging or shaking my hand. If our relationship progressed to another level, I was going to tell you and suggest you get vaccinated." He hesitated. "I wish you'd say something."

"I'm not sure what to say." She sat beside him.

"Well, at least you're sitting. I guess that's a good sign."

"How did you get it?"

"I'm pretty sure as a child I didn't have unprotected sex or use drugs."

"I thought we were having a serious discussion and you're making jokes." She started to rise.

"Sorry, I really don't know how I contracted it." Anna again sat. "I've often wondered if I got it from my stepfather, but I don't know. Somehow I had an open cut and got somebody else's blood in it. As a boy, I was always getting scrapes and scratches."

Her eyes widened. "That's scary."

"When we were growing up, people weren't worried about bloodborne pathogens. Do you remember hearing about them?"

"I guess you're right. Now, we're cautioned constantly." Anna picked up a pinecone and studied it. "What about now? How are you really doing?"

"I'm doing fine. Once in a while I get more tired and run down than the doctor would like. I have doctor visits every three months and he checks my liver. It's doing just fine, by the way. I just stay away from anything that might cause additional liver damage, like alcohol."

"What are the risks?"

"I'm at a higher risk for liver cancer. That's about it. At least for now."

"Has it changed your life?"

"West Point turned me down and I've lost some girlfriends." He turned and their eyes met. "Am I going to lose my chance with you?"




Recognized


Please note this is chapter 12 part 2 of a much longer novel. I have described all of my characters in previous chapters. Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

Chronic hepatitis B infection lasts six months or longer. When your immune system can't fight off the virus, hepatitis B infection may become lifelong, possibly leading to serious illnesses such as cirrhosis and liver cancer. Most infants infected with HBV at birth and many children infected between 1 and 5 years of age become chronically infected. Chronic infection may go undetected for decades until a person becomes seriously ill from liver disease.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.