Children Fiction posted October 21, 2011 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Some about college and some about spare time.

A chapter in the book The dragon Mareng

Their first introduction at college.

by robina1978



Background
Mareng and Mara are dragon children. They have just finished primary school and their summer break was nearly over. Mareng's birthday was in the break and he had been given a little dog for his birthd
One week before college was due to start Mareng and Mara and all the other dragons and children had to be present at college to collect their book list and hear about the requirements for their school uniforms. They were also given the rota for the first couple of weeks. This was also the first opportunity to meet the other children and dragons. It took just under two hours.

The mentor for their class took them into a classroom. He introduced himself as Mr. French and said to them:
"I will be the one who will be able to help you if you have any problems this year. The list of books are the books you have to buy. The bookshop in the Main Street sells both new and second-hand books. The college uniforms you can get in a shop a little bit further up the same street. Do you all understand?"

Mareng: "Mr. French, I am Mareng. Can you tell us please how to buy these things as Mara and I don't have any money?"

"Oh yes of course, I forgot to mention that. You take the list home and your parents will go with you and help select and pay for the things you'll need. Does anybody else have any questions?"

"No Mr. French, that is all quite clear." said the class in chorus.

"Then the next thing you have to know: you will have more different subjects than in primary school. They are English, maths, science, three extra languages (French, German and Latin ), history, geography, art and art history, gymnastics and for those that want to do some extra Greek. You will find out what is involved when you get started. Each subject is given by a different teacher, which means you will have to change classrooms regularly. College starts at 8.30 am, you will have shorter breaks and will stay at school for lunch. But you are free at 2.00 pm most days."

Mareng, Mara and a couple of other children: "Does this mean we have more time after school to go and play?"

"No, not usually. When you go home you'll have homework to do most days. Any time left over, you can play or do whatever you like. Some days you might have time at college if a teacher is ill and that time you can use to do part of your homework. Off you go now and I will see you this time next week."

Mareng and Mara went home together. They were a bit overwhelmed by all they had heard. This is why not much was said on their way home. As they had agreed they went to Mareng's house, where Mara's parents also waited. When they were all together their parents asked how it went. Questions and answers went from one to the other. When Mareng and Mara tried to talk through each other, one of the parents explained: "only one at a time now please. You are older now and have to learn to wait for your turn."

All that they had heard at college, they shared with their parents. They handed the lists over. Mareng's Mum asked: "What do you think, are you going to like it?"

Mareng : "Yes, I think it will be different, but that might be nice as well."

Mara replied along the same lines.

They all agreed upon a day and time to go to the shops together.

"What extra hobbies would you like to have?" The fathers asked.

"What do you mean, Dad?"

"Each of you can pick a sport to do and something with music."

As they always did Mareng and Mara had a little discussion. They decided not to do the same things. They did not need to as there would be enough time left to do things together. Mareng fancied playing the guitar and football. Mara wanted to go horse riding and play the piano.

So the parents added these to their list of things they had to do as soon as possible. Then they sent Mareng and Mara off to walk Nicci.

This made it a long day for all.
That is why you have to wait again for more the next time.





Recognized


The picture came from the internet.
Please be lenient with your judgement again as I remain being foreign; any help with grammar, spelling and punctuation is welcome.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. robina1978 All rights reserved.
robina1978 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.