Romance Fiction posted October 16, 2011 Chapters:  ...34 35 -36- 37... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New problems for Anna.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part three, Chapter 11

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Monday just before noon, Anna glanced up and saw Paul standing in the door of her office. "Hi, this is a nice surprise." She studied his face. "This isn't a social call is it?"

"Could I take you to lunch? I need to share some information with you."

Anna sighed. "Let me tell Mr. Keller I'm leaving." She stood and walked down the hall.

*****
After they were seated in a restaurant, Paul took her hand and held it. "Your in-laws have filed an emergency custody petition. They're trying to get custody of Michael."

"But the judge ruled I have sole custody." Anna quit talking when the waiter came for their order.

After he left, Paul continued, "They're using the attempted abduction to say you're a careless mother. The hearing's Friday."

"Has your PI been able to prove they're behind the abduction?"

"Not yet, but I have a feeling it was only an attempt, so they'd have a reason to take you back to court." He released a deep breath. "Social Services came to the house this morning to make sure he was safe."

Anna wiped a tear that escaped down her cheek. "I'm sorry to put you through this. It isn't fair."

"No, it's not. I'm sure by Friday Everett will have discovered they were behind the whole incident. Until then, I think you need to remain at our house. Betty has volunteered to watch Michael. Margaret's right by her side, so there's always an adult beside him; even when he's asleep." Paul laughed. "I can't imagine anybody trying to harm that lad with those two guarding him."

A glimmer of a smile crossed Anna's lips. "Neither can I. I'm sure those two could cause serious damage."

Paul paused while the waiter placed a chef's salad in front of Anna and a cheeseburger platter in front of him. "One more thing." He handed her a business card. "Here's a number for the abuse counseling center. They might be able to help."

"You and Betty have been a huge help. I don't think I need it."

"I'm sure they can help in areas we haven't even considered. I suggest you attend at least once. If it's not for you, then you don't have to return."

Anna nodded.

*****
Friday morning, Paul and Anna walked into the courtroom and sat at the defendant's table. They waited for the Rodgers, their lawyer, and the judge to enter.

Paul noticed Mrs. Ryan, the social worker, walk in and sit in the mid-section of the room. He nodded toward her and she returned it. He leaned over to Anna and whispered, "The brunette lady in the dark blue suit who just sat down is a social worker. She paid us a visit the other day. I think she's on our side."

"I hope you're right." She rubbed her stomach. "I think I may be sick."

"Stay calm. Things will work out." He took her hand.

Mr. and Mrs. Rodgers walked in with their lawyer.

Paul walked over to him, shook his hand, and introduced himself.

When he returned to the defendant's table, he sighed. "The lawyer's name is George Brown. I've never gone up against him. He's new in town."

"Should I be worried?"

"Nope, I researched him this week. Besides, we have truth on our side, but I wish Everett would hurry and find something." The bailiff walked up front. Paul stood. "Ready?"

Anna stood as the man said, "All rise." She watched the tall slender judge enter and sighed. A new judge to convince I've done nothing wrong.

Judge Peter Sawyer looked at the plaintiff's table. "Please begin."

After both attorneys made opening remarks, Mr. Brown stood and said, "I would like to call Everett Page as my first witness. Your honor, I'd like to treat him as a hostile witness because of his current employment."



Recognized


I know EE is going to have fun with the chart I tried to put in my author's notes.
I need to mention that this post is the end of chapter 11. I have already decribed my characters.
Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.


Table 5: Characteristics of Family Abduction
Perpetrators
Estimated Number
Perpetrator of Family Percent
Characteristic Abducted Children (n = 203,900)
Relationship to child
Childs father 108,700 53%
Childs mother 50,500 25%
Childs stepfather 3,300* 2%
Childs sister 1,900* 1%
Childs uncle 6,000* 3%
Childs aunt 3,000* 1%
Childs grandfather 13,700* 7%
Childs grandmother 13,400* 7%
Childs mothers boyfriend 3,200* 2%
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.