Sports Fiction posted September 29, 2011


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Short story

Gold Medalist

by dejohnsrld (Debbie)

The tiny figure glides gracefully to the center of the ice oval, stopping to pose with her arms elegantly entwined above her head and feet crossed. Sequins on her hand-tailored teal costume reflect the light from the mirrorball which spins a pattern of circular prisms over the surface of the ice. With silent anticipation, the audience waits.

As the first few notes are heard, the skater begins a series of inside and outside edges, gaining speed with each stroke of her feet. She slows and holds her position for a brief moment before performing a triple lutz followed by a double axle, looking relieved as she lands both jumps solidly. She skates around the arena floor a couple of rotations with perfect body position. The beat of the music picks up as she begins her footwork series across the ice and back again. Several single jumps are executed and successfully landed in between graceful inside and outside edges. Gently, the skater slows, readying herself for the concluding spin set which is performed elegantly, completing with a perfect sit spin. As she rises, both she and the music end at precisely the same time. She ends in the exact position she began.

She bows as her face glows with excitement, showing she is pleased with her performance. As the audience gives her a standing ovation, the house lights turn on. After collecting several bouquets of flowers, she leaves the ice into her coaches' waiting arms. Will she win the gold? The judges will soon present her marks. The tiny skater waits in anticipation, knowing she has just given the performance of her life.



Recognized


The only thing I find more mesmerizing than Fanstory is ice skating. I saw Dorthy Hamil in person and up so close that the ice from her skate sprayed me!!!

Thanks to V. Marguerite for the artwork!!!


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dejohnsrld (Debbie) All rights reserved.
dejohnsrld (Debbie) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.