Romance Fiction posted September 18, 2011 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The divorce trial.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part two, Chapter 10

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
Monday morning, Anna tried on four dresses. I have nothing to wear. I'll just wear this skirt and blouse. As she viewed herself in the mirror, her cell phone rang. She glanced at the display. "Good morning, Paul." She listened, before she continued, "Sure Michael can stay with Betty. We'll be there in a few minutes."

She put the phone in her purse, before she lifted the baby. "Grandma Betty hasn't seen you since Tuesday. She misses you, so she's going to take care of you today." Paul sounded concerned. I wonder what's going on. He said he'll come by and get us.

It wasn't long before the intercom rang and she heard Paul's voice, "Anna, it's me. Will you buzz the gate open?"

"Sure." She pressed the button and spoke to her son, "Well, sweetheart, I guess we're ready."

*****
As they drove, Anna glanced at Paul. "Has something happened? I could've driven to your house."

"I don't trust Mrs. Rodgers. She knows where Michael's day care is. If things don't go her way, she might do something stupid. This way you and Michael are safe. I'm having Margaret and Troy stay at the house. Everett, my P.I. will hang out at the courthouse, just in case. I don't think she'll expect Michael to be at my house, but I don't want to take chances."

Anna chewed on her lower lip and clutched her purse. "You think this is going to get nasty, don't you?"

Paul glanced toward her. "I would rather err on the side of caution." He parked in the driveway.

*****
Inside the courtroom, Anna stood beside Paul as the hefty gray-haired Judge Kirk entered. Her knees shook and she felt as if her stomach would betray her.

Paul glanced in her direction and offered his hand. She grasped it.

The judge sat and shuffled papers as he scanned them. "Mr. Young, I see your client was found guilty of domestic violence last week. Is that correct?"

Before Eric could respond, Bobby's mother jumped up and yelled, "My son's innocent. The bitch lied."

"Bailiff, remove that person from the courtroom and forbid her entrance for the duration of this trial." Judge Kirk nodded toward Paul. "You may begin with your opening statement."

After Paul and Mr. Young presented their opening statements, the judge said, "You may call your first witness."

Paul began with the police officers who were first on the scene the day Bobby was arrested and Anna went to the hospital, then the EMR team and the hospital doctors and nurses. He finished with photographs of Anna's injuries and testimony.

Eric Young cross-examined, half-heartedly.

As Anna returned to sit behind the plaintiff's table, the judge asked, "Mr. Young, do you have any witnesses?"

"Yes, sir, I would like to call Bobby Rodgers."

After Bobby was sworn in, Eric asked his first question. "Mr. Rogers, you have listened to your wife's abuse accusations. Have you ever hit your wife?"

"I've disciplined her but I've never hit her."

"How do you explain the reason for her most recent stay in the hospital?"

"The kid's babysitter called and said he was sick and needed to be picked up. Anna was out having a fancy lunch, so she didn't answer at work. I had to drive all the way there to tell her to get her kid. I gave her orders not to take him to the doctor. I'm self-employed. I'm a mechanic so there isn't a lot of money." Bobby tugged at his tie and appeared uncomfortable in his jacket.

Bobby pointed toward Anna. "She disobeyed me and took him to the doctor. I had to discipline her. A wife can't do whatever she wants. If she had listened to me, we wouldn't be here. Disciplining is not beating. It's showing her the errors of her ways."

"Mr. Rodgers, can you explain to the court how you helped your wife throughout your marriage?"

"Anna wasted her time going to college and never learned the things women need to know. I had to teach her how to cook, clean the house, take care of her husband. She was a slow learner. I had to discipline her often."

Eric stood behind the defendant's table. "I have nothing more, your honor."

"Mr. Sorenson, would you like to cross-examine this witness?"

Paul stood. "I would, your honor." He walked closer to Bobby. "When Mrs. Rodgers disobeyed your orders and took her son to the doctor, what was the diagnosis?"

"Supposed to have an ear infection, but doctors were wrong, because they want more money." Bobby glared at Anna. "It's a conspiracy. There was nothing wrong with him. She's spoiled him so much that all he does is cry. She's weak and never stops his bawling."

Paul took a paper from in front of Anna and held it up. "Here are two statements; one from the examining pediatrician and one from the doctor who examined him in the hospital. Both state the infant had a double ear infection." He took a photo from the pile. "Here's a picture taken in your kitchen of the shattered antibiotic bottle. You threw it against the wall in a fit of anger."

"A wife should respect her husband's wishes and obey him. I know when my son needs medical attention. She's turning him into a weakling by pampering him. She made me teach her a lesson. If she would've just listened, all of this could be avoided. I just wanted to make her a better wife. All of this is her fault. She's a bad mom and a bad wife." Bobby shifted and sat up straighter.

"Would you tell the court what happened to the neighbor's cat?"

"I hung it from a tree. The damn cat walked across my truck and left paw prints. I have a right to take care of my property. If you don't stand up for yourself, people will abuse you!"

"I have no further questions." Paul turned toward the judge. "I have photos taken at the house. I would like them to be admitted. Mr. Young was with me."

The judge called both attorneys to his bench and accepted the stack of images after Mr. Young did not object.

"Mr. Young, would you care to re-direct?"

"No, your honor. The defense rests."

Back at the table Paul, turned toward Anna. "My client is petitioning the court for full custody of the minor child. We're asking for no or at least restricted visitation. The child support request and the other technicalities are on file. There is a restraining order in effect." He glanced toward Eric. "Your honor, may we approach?"

After the judge nodded, both attorneys went forward.

Paul spoke in a low voice. "I would like to petition the court against the Minute Entry Ruling in favor of a judicial ruling. I feel because of the special circumstances surrounding this case it would be beneficial to both parties."

Judge Kirk glanced toward Mr. Young. "Do you have any objections?"

"No, your honor."

"I'll take the matter under advisement and you should have my decision Wednesday."

The attorneys went to their respective tables and the session was over.

*****
In the courthouse hallway, Anna gulped. "Now what?"

Paul adjusted his briefcase. "We wait until the judge makes his decision. He indicated he would have it Wednesday. Let's go home."

As they left the courthouse, Mrs. Rodgers walked toward them. "Anna, you're nothing but a whore. Bobby married in a moment of weakness. You're not going to get my grandson. I'll see you in Hell before you take Bobby's son from him."

"Mrs. Rodgers, you need to go on your way." Paul stood in front of the woman. "If you continue harassing my client, I'll have you arrested." He took Anna's arm. "Let's leave."

*****
As Paul drove home, he said, "Mrs. Rodgers is why I felt a Minute Entry Ruling would be a mistake."

Anna glanced toward him. "I don't understand. What do you mean?"

"The judge would send his decision in a Minute Entry to one of the lawyers, usually the petitioner, which would be me. I would write up the decree and the supporting documents, send them to Eric for his approval, then to the judge. Once the judge signs and files it, he sends confirmed copies to each lawyer. Everything becomes final once the papers are final.

"Now I understand. Mrs. Rodgers could argue that you wrote the decree in my favor. She can't argue with Judge Kirk."

"That's right."



Recognized


I know this is long, and I'm sorry. I felt there was no good place to divide it up. Please understand. Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.


91% of Fortune 1,000 corporate leaders believe that violence against women affects both the private and the working lives of employees. 66% of corporate leaders believe that their company's financial performance would benefit from addressing violence against women among their employees; 32% say their company's bottom line performance has been damaged by violence against women.

56% of corporate leaders today say they are aware of employees within their organizations who are affected by violence against women.

Nearly half (48%) of corporate leaders say that the productivity of their workers has been negatively affected as a result of violence against women.

Corporate leaders say that violence against women has had a harmful effect on the physical safety of their own employees (52 %), on employee attendance (42 %) and on employee turnover (29%).

The rate of infant homicide reached a 30-year high in 2000.

The rate of infant homicide more than doubled from 4.3 homicides per 100,000 children under age one in 1970 to 9.1 per 100,000 children under age one in 2000. This trend occurred during a period in which there was an overall decrease in infant mortality from all sources.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.