Romance Fiction posted September 11, 2011 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Domestic violence trial

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part one, Chapter 10

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?
CHAPTER TEN

Anna rushed through the courtroom doors, found an isolated bench, and sat taking deep breaths.

Paul followed and settled beside her. "You did great."

"Did you see the glare Bobby gave me?" She wiped a tear rolling down her cheek. "If eyes were daggers, I'd be dead."

"I did and so did Judge Parker. Mrs. Rodgers yelling that you were lying didn't help him either. All it did was get her removed from the room. The photos and doctor's testimony proved your case. He's looking at domestic violence in the second degree, which is a class C felony."

"What happens now?"

"We wait. The judge will make the decision."

"Do you think Bobby will spend more time in jail?"

"I do. He violated the restraining order by threatening you. The judge won't ignore his arrest. He could spend up to six months in jail and two years on probation." He grinned. "I have a feeling some anger management classes and maybe alcohol rehab might be in the cards."

"Will this help me retain custody of Michael?"

Paul nodded. "Yes." He released a deep breath. "I know I keep harping on this but make sure you don't give Mrs. Rodgers a reason to accuse you of adultery. She's hired a PI and is searching for all the dirt she can dig up on you."

Anna sighed. "When did this detective start?"

"According to Mr. Young, today."

"He won't find anything. I'm as boring as they come."

"Just make sure my son stays away until the divorce is final."

"It shouldn't be a problem."

Paul removed his cell and glanced at the display screen. "This is Troy. He's probably wondering what's going on. Excuse me, while I take this." He stepped away.

Should I tell Paul about the grocery store, the delivered groceries, and yesterday's lunch?

Before Paul returned the bailiff opened the door and told everyone the judge had made his decision.

Anna went to the water fountain and took a long drink.

Paul stood behind her. "Ready?"

"I guess." She bent over and took another drink.

*****
Paul and Anna left the courthouse and found Troy waiting on the sidewalk. "Good or bad news?"

"Mostly good, wouldn't you say, Anna?"

"Yes, but I wish Bobby had a longer jail sentence. Did I hear right? Does our divorce trial begin Monday?"

"That's correct. I had hoped for six months in jail, but three will give us time to make sure he understands he needs to stay away. The court-ordered anger management and alcohol classes should help. Remember he has two years of probation. If he messes up, he'll end up back in jail."

If I'm still alive. Anna released a deep breath and then glanced at Troy. "Bobby's mother hired a P.I. to make sure I'm behaving."

Paul stared at Troy, who studied the sidewalk before he asked, "Do you have something to tell me?"

Troy removed his phone from his pocket. "I'll call Mom and tell her there'll be a few more hungry mouths to feed." He glanced at Anna. "Will you and Michael join us?"

"I'll stop by the day care and get Michael. It'll only take about thirty minutes."

*****
When Anna arrived at the Sorenson home, Paul and Troy were in the den discussing the grocery store and the park lunch episodes.

Anna stood in the doorway and stared at the carpet. "I'm sorry, this is my fault. I've messed everything up."

Paul walked toward her. "I think this is a series of accidental meetings. How could it be your fault?"

"I made an assumption I shouldn't have made. Then I acted like a teenager and ran away. When Troy brought the groceries by, I refused to answer the door. He was forced to follow me to the park to explain. I didn't deserve an explanation."

Troy grinned and glanced away.

"With everything you have been through the past few years, I'd say it sounds pretty reasonable to me." Paul turned toward Troy. "Son, wouldn't you agree?"

"Yes. I'm seeing those flower petals getting a deeper red every day."

"I don't know what you're talking about, but guess it's something private between you two." Paul shook his head.

Betty walked in with Michael in her arms. "My little buddy says it's dinner time. Have you settled all the world issues?"

"Maybe not the world issues but a few pressing ones where Anna's concerned." Paul tousled Michael's hair.

"Have I messed up?" Anna stared at Paul.

"The P.I. didn't start until today, so he wouldn't know about it." He glanced at Anna then at Troy. "From now on, you need to do everything possible to keep separated."

"What if the P.I. is watching me right now?"

"You're having dinner with your lawyer and his family to celebrate Bobby remaining in jail."

"Do all clients have dinner with their lawyers?" Anna walked beside Paul to the dining room.

"Only the good lawyers and their special clients." Paul put his arm around her shoulders and squeezed.

Anna rested her head against his shoulder. "Tomorrow's Wednesday. Monday's only a few days away. How messy will the divorce proceedings get?"

"Young's on our side, I think. Mrs. Rodgers will be the problem, but I think we'll be all right. We won't know until Monday. Let's eat. I'm hungry."



Recognized


I decided not to go into the trial because the divorce trial is next. I felt 2 trials were too much. I think the divorce trial in more serious and important to Anna's situation. I spent more time on it. I hope you agree. Thank you for reading and reviewing.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

Violence against women costs companies $727.8 million annually due to lost productivity.

Over 7.9 million paid workdays are lost each year due to violence against women.

74% of employed battered women were harassed by their partner while they were at work.

In one case, a wrongful death action against an employer who failed to respond to an employee's risk of violence against women on the job cost the employer $850,000.

37% of women personally affected by domestic violence report that the abuse has had an impact on their work performance in the form of tardiness, missed work, a lost job or missed career promotions.

Most (57%) corporate leaders believe domestic violence is a major problem in society, yet only 12% of those surveyed say that corporations should play a major role. One-third of those surveyed perceive this problem to have a negative impact on their bottom line and four out of 10 are personally aware of employees and other individuals affected b domestic violence.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.