Romance Fiction posted July 5, 2011 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Margaret reveals her surprise.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part 3, Chapter 6

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Previously:
Margaret stepped outside and motioned.

Anna stepped out of the shadow into the light. Troy grabbed her arm, hurried her into the lobby, and hugged her. "Am I ever glad to see you." He stood back, scanned her, then hugged her again. "You look better than the last time I saw you. Let's go into my office. We can't risk you being seen through the lobby window." He locked the outside door.

Once the three were inside Troy's office, he shut and locked it. "You'll be safe in here. Where's Michael? Aunt Margaret, how did you find her? You two have some explaining to do." He ran his fingers through his short brown hair as his eyes darted from one woman to the other. "Will one of you start talking?" He cleared his throat. "Have a seat." He watched both ladies sit. "Please explain."

Margaret reached out and took Troy's hand. "About a year after you became part of Betty and Paul's family I found out about an underground organization that helps abused women. I joined and have been harboring women and their children for years."

Troy held up the sketch of Anna. "Are you telling me the night you drew this, Anna was at your house?" He slammed the paper down.

Anna cringed.

He knelt in front of her. "I'm sorry. You never have to be afraid of me. I'll never lay a hand on you or your son." He took her hand in his and caressed it with his thumb. "I'm having a hard time believing as Dad and I worried about your safety, my aunt knew where you were."

"I just arrived at Margaret's house about two hours ago."

"I'm sorry." Troy's eyes met his aunt's. "I jumped to a conclusion I shouldn't have."

"I understand. I didn't know Anna was one of the young women we were helping. I just assumed she was in a shelter. When women come to our program, they're secretly moved among our members for as long as they need help. We never know who or when somebody will come to our house. We're always ready. The fewer people who know where they are the less chance they have of being discovered."

Margaret set her purse on the floor. "We don't even know everyone who belongs to the organization. We keep everything secretive for the women's safety."

"Mrs. Collier helped Michael and me leave the hospital. She took us to her house, made a phone call, then left us at somebody else's house. We moved every other day to a new location. We never stayed with the same person twice. Today we showed up on Margaret's doorstep. She recognized me and immediately convinced me it would be safe to contact you. She called and here I am."

Troy stood. "What about Michael?"

"The woman who brought Anna to me graciously agreed to babysit until our return."

Troy rubbed his brow and sighed. "I need to call Dad." His eyes met Anna's. "You need to file some legal papers. Your husband's causing problems. Dad spent today trying to keep him in jail a few more days. I think there's a bond hearing tomorrow." He stood behind his aunt and put his hands on her shoulders. "Dad will never believe you have her. This is so surreal I need to pinch myself to make sure it's true."

"I'm sorry to cause so many problems." Moisture welled in Anna's eyes. "You've been kind to me."

Troy moved closer and wiped a tear that spilled onto her cheek. "I have been worried sick about you. I didn't know what happened. The important thing is you're safe." His eyes met his aunt's. "Now what?"

"I need to get Anna back before she's discovered. I'm breaking some rules contacting you."

Margaret stood and helped Anna stand.

"I'll talk with Dad. He'll contact you." Troy walked toward the door. "Is there any way Anna can stay in one spot long enough to get all the paperwork filed?"

He glanced toward Anna. "Dad has decided to represent you."

"I can't afford his fees." She frowned. "I thought he'd retired."

"He decided your case was important enough to come out of retirement. Don't worry about the fee. It's pro bono."

Troy opened his office door, went into the lobby, stepped onto the sidewalk, and scanned up and down the street. "Nobody's on the sidewalk." As the two women entered the lobby, Troy hugged his aunt and then Anna. "Be careful." He watched the two women get in the car and drive away.

Inside his office, he removed his phone from his pocket and called his father. While he waited, he tapped his fingers. "You'll never believe what just happened." He listened then said, "I want to see the look on your face when I spring this on you. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."




Recognized


Thank you to google images for my artwork.
Thank you for reading and reviewing.

These behaviors are all used to control the victim through fear.

HUMILIATION destroys self-esteem and can be devastating, especially if done in front of others.

CONTROL is gradually taken over; decision-making, activities, and moment-to-moment behavior of the victim are taken.

TRIVIAL DEMANDS are make to exhaust the victim and diminish her energy to seek alternatives or resist.

OCCASIONAL INDULGENCE is given to preserve the victim's hope that things will change, remind the victim that the abuser is capable of good behavior, and reinforce her suspicion that if she changes her behavior in just the right way she can earn more good treatment more often.

DEMONSTRATIONS OF POWER teach the victim that she is helpless in the relationship.

DEPENDENCE develops as the victim loses control over her time, resources, activities, choices, and eventually thoughts and opinions.

SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org
National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.