Romance Fiction posted April 24, 2011 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna and Troy talk.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part two chapter three

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Troy paced the hall outside of Anna's hospital room. He thought about what his dad had said, Don't get involved. After a nurse left her room, he stood in the door. I can't leave her alone. She needs help.

She glanced toward him, then faced the wall. "Please go away."

"I have information that might help." Troy stepped into the room.

"You called the police, didn't you?" She still refused to look at him.

"I heard your cries." He released a deep breath. "I couldn't allow him to hurt you any longer." He pulled a chair beside her bed. "Was this because you took your son to the doctor?"

She nodded.

"I'm sorry." Troy touched her arm.

"What are you sorry about?" She turned toward him. "You didn't do anything." She reached up to wipe hair from her cheek and grimaced.

He brushed her cheek. "Is that better? What did the doctor say?"

"I'm badly bruised, two broken ribs, and a cracked shoulder blade." Tears welled in her eyes and spilt down her cheeks.

He closed his eyes and gulped. "Before Dad retired, he was a lawyer. I went to see him" He took a paper from his pocket and laid it on the table. "Here are two names and phone numbers. When you feel up to it, please call one of them."

"There's no way I can afford a lawyer. I need to find a place for Michael and me."

After chewing on the inside of his cheek, Troy stood. "Anna, the next time Bobby could kill you. You need to be free from him."

"I had his child. He'll always be Michael's father. He'll always have rights."

"As badly as he's beaten you, he's forfeited many of his rights. A judge might deny him rights to Michael since he's mistreated him."

"I can't afford a lawyer." Tears streamed down her cheeks.

"You could have a clause included in the divorce settlement that he pays your legal fees."

"When he gets out of jail, he'll be so angry he'll kill me."

Troy closed his eyes. She's right. He studied his hands for a moment, then asked, "Who has Michael?"

"He was admitted to the hospital."

"How badly is he hurt?" He stared at the door. "Is it all right if I go see him?"

"Only some bruises. The doctor wants to keep him overnight for observation." She reached for his hand. "After you visit him, can you come back and tell me how he's doing?"

"Of course." He leaned over her, but changed his mind. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Please give him a kiss for me and tell him I love him."

Troy nodded. "Not a problem." He glanced back at Anna as he left the room.

*****
Troy stood beside Michael's crib, a nurse came up and asked, "Are you a family member?"

"No, a family friend. I was visiting his mother and she asked me to check on him. How's he doing?"

"Pretty well. He has a few bruises, but nothing serious. He's only here until a family member can be reached."

"How are his ear infections?"

"The little guy has a nasty one."

"Is there anyway he can take a trip to see his mom? It would really help her to see he's all right."

The nurse smiled. "I'm sure you can't take him, but I'll see what I can do." She left the nursery.

Troy reached over and touched Michael's little hand. "I'm so sorry you had to be born into this mess. I understand how scary it is. Your mommy is a strong woman. She'll do the right thing." He leaned over and kissed the baby's cheek. "That's from your mommy. She told me to tell you she loves you very much."

The nurse rolled a portable crib in the room. "I have permission to escort you and this handsome young man to his mom."

Troy smiled. "She'll be very happy."

*****
When they entered, Anna's gaze clung to the crib, but she addressed Troy, "How did you manage this?" She glanced toward the nurse. "Can I hold him?"

Troy winced, wondering if Anna's injuries would allow her to safely hold Michael. He stepped closer to the nurse. "What do you think?"

After some thought, the nurse nodded. "If you help her, I think it'll be fine." She lifted Michael from the crib. "He's a stout little guy, isn't he?"

Troy took the child from the nurse and approached the bed. "I'll sit here. He perched on it's edge and carefully placed Michael at Anna's side.

"Yes." She pulled Michael to her and kissed his chubby cheeks.

The infant cooed and smiled a toothless grin at his mother.

After she held him to her chest, she released a deep breath and stared at Troy. "I can't put him through this again. What should I do?"

"Enjoy Michael right now. Later we'll discuss different options."

*****
With tears in her eyes, Anna watched the nurse push Michael's crib into the hall. She dried her cheeks with the back of her hand and turned toward Troy. "It's not right that Michael suffers because Bobby can't control his temper."

"You have a few options. You can live with a friend, family, or woman's shelter until you're financially capable of supporting yourself. I'm guessing Bobby's locked up for a few days. You have a little time to decide what's best for you and your son." Troy glanced down at the ringing cell phone attached to his belt. "Excuse me a minute. It's my dad."

As he answered, he turned and walked toward the window. "Hello Dad." Troy glanced toward Anna off and on during the conversation. Replacing the phone on his belt clip, he walked toward her bed. "Dad wants to visit you and discuss hiring a lawyer."

"I can't afford a lawyer."

"He'll be here around nine in the morning. You can discuss it then." Troy glanced at his watch. "A nurse will kick me out in about five minutes, so I'd better go." He held her hand and rubbed the top with his thumb. "Is it all right if I come by before work?"

"You don't need to."

"I know I don't. I asked if it would be all right."

She nodded and watched him walk to the door. "Troy, thank you."

He turned and winked. "You're welcome. Good night."




Recognized


I hope you had a wonderful Easter.
Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.