General Fiction posted March 29, 2011 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Steven and Doc find they have much in common.

A chapter in the book The Glass Cat Eye

A Meeting of the Minds

by amahra






 


(Chapter Three)


Late Afternoon-Dr. Connelly's mansion-waiting room

Steven stood admiring the luxury items display. He recognized the famous 1952 Pollock painting, "Blue Poles." It was his favorite. As he looked about, his eyes settled on the odd piece that had so fascinated Madame Reece.

"Chinese Famille Verte Porcelain," Dr. Connelly called from the door way. "It's called . . ."

"Buddhistic Lion," Steven interrupted, "nineteenth century. Chinese believed it would ward off evil spirits and bring them good luck."

"Well, well, young man. I see there's an equal meeting of the minds here. History major?"

"Physics, Sir."

Doc held out his hand, and Steven shook it. Steven was delighted that he had impressed Dr. Connelly. With his sharing enough of Connelly's interest, he'd hoped to put the old man at ease; then he’d worm his way into finding out what went on between him and Madame Reece.

The two men sat and talked about their interest in Chinese art and Jackson Pollock paintings. Finally, Steven felt confident enough to pop the question.

"It seems you and I may have something else in common."

"Oh?"

"What do you know about a Madame Reece...this psychic guru?"

"You know Madame Reece?"

"Not really.  I went to one of her séances. I don't believe in that nonsense, but I attended to convince my friend that she was nothing more than a phony. But I failed."

Steven went on to say that his friend was lining Reece’s pockets with thousands of dollars, thinking she was putting her in contact with her dead relatives.  He told of how she had turned her back on her religion and her family.

"It's like an addiction," he said.  "I feel like my friend is drowning, and I don't have a rope to throw her."

"Um... I detect your friend is more than just a friend?"

Steven, uneasy, looked away.

"What do you know about this woman, Doc?"

"What do you know about the supernatural?"

"I don't believe in that mess."

"Then, I can't help you."

"What do you mean, you can't help me?"

"Son, Madame Reece is not a phony. If you want to help this friend of yours, that's the one thing you're going to have to come to terms with."

"How can you sit here, an intelligent man, and believe this woman talks to dead people?"

"Son. I wish that's all she was talking to."

"What do you mean?"

Doc stood up.

"Mr. Crane, are you a drinking man?"

"Yes. Why?"

Doc walked over to a mirrored wall. He touched something, and a bar rolled into view.

"Name your poison."

"A Captain Morgan."

"Two Captain Morgans coming up."

Doc filled two glasses with ice and poured a shot of golden Puerto Rican rum in each one; he then filled both glasses with Coca-Cola and added a dash of lime.

The two men sat and talked for over two hours. Doc made a second trip to his mirrors. They disagreed and argued theology back and forth, with both men winning over one another on certain points. Then Doc spoke of Madame Reece and their meeting. He talked about the UPC and the dangers it posed. Steven told Doc of the meeting he'd had with Reece's mother and about a dead girl. Doc told him who the dead girl was and what he had experience while lecturing at the small Bible College. Doc told Steven he was trying to save the world; Steven told Doc he was only interested in saving Esther. Both men parted with a better respect for one another.

"You take care," Doc warned.

"I will."

Steven got into his car and drove off.



 




I would like to thank Khristysdesigns for the beautiful Lady of the Crystal Ball."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.