Writing Fiction posted March 29, 2011


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Spoof on my muse

The Witch and the Dragon-slayer

by dejohnsrld (Debbie)

The Witch and the Dragon-slayer

Sixty minutes from freedom. My work on the compilation that my writing class is putting together will be done. Up until the compilation came up, the writing class was going well and I had been enjoying the writing I was doing on my own. It seemed exciting and fun. The instructors were OK, but a little too teacher-like for a group of adults who just wanted the opportunity to write. But once the plan for a compilation came, they turned into a witch and the dragon-slayer. We students labored hard to get each word exactly right before we laid our precious words at their feet.

"No, that is not appropriate for the compilation," they screamed. "Go home and do it over," they snarled. We painstakingly labored until certain the pieces were perfect, and then again brought our offerings to them. "What is this piece really about?" We would meekly try to answer. "No, it is about the people. Using your voice, show us the people!" We gingerly slithered out, looking down at the gray carpet and trying not to cry. Again and again we tried, only to be shot down time after time. Anger, resentment, and frustration kept building as we were rebuked over and over again. The witch and the dragon-slayer were relentless. They assumed we were incapable of the task, and started slashing our work to pieces and then reassembling it. If they are rewriting our pieces, how are we supposed to use our voices?

One by one, we broke down, unable to take it anymore. The witch and the dragon-slayer again rewrote our work. Not liking conflict, and fearing for my life, they slowly broke me too. I became unable to write a simple sentence on a page. The evil teachers feasted on our frustration, growing stronger and more demanding with each meeting.

Fear of losing what little sanity I have was growing rapidly. The witch and the dragon-slayer figured they would win this game. The only way out of it was to quit playing the game. I decided if they want my work, that was great. If they want to rewrite it, that was fine too. They could just list the author as anonymous.

Now, I have thirty minutes left before I meet with the gruesome twosome for the final time. Whatever happens, I will be OK. I will not let the witch and the dragon-slayer drag me through the dungeon again. Next month, they will retreat back to the dark recesses of hell where they normally reside.

For those of you who have noticed I haven't been posting on Fanstory lately, it is because the witch and the dragon-slayer have imprisoned my muse. I will take my muse back in just a few minutes and get busy writing something I enjoy. Soon, my muse and I will be on the loose, so watch out, we have a lot of catching up to do!!!




Recognized


Thanks to ixtamar for the wonderful artwork!!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dejohnsrld (Debbie) All rights reserved.
dejohnsrld (Debbie) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.