Essay Non-Fiction posted February 23, 2011


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
MY REBUTTAL

REBUTTAL to Smell the Stench

by Spiritual Echo

In response to "Wake up and Smell the Stench," I watched in astonishment as this "poem/essay" received what I imagine is a record number of responses on Fan Story. At this writing, almost 1800 members have either read a portion or all of this submission.

Creating controversy is an enjoyable pastime and a theatrical trick. Using God as a tool in order to create this notoriety is the real sin.

Had this been written in defence of the Qur'an with such strong and bombastic language,some people might well have condemned this article and would not have paused at the keyboard, rushing instead to call the FBI.

But, herein lies the trickery. North America has a strong relationship with God, albeit a multi-denominational and personal one that cannot be summed up with a litany of sins as catalogued by the author.

I am reminded of a recent flash fiction entry called "The Young Priest" written by Debskatz who recounts the story of a non-Catholic woman who came to the altar for communion. The priest was sharing his dilemma with his Bishop, who finally asked how he resolved the issue. The Bishop was shocked when the priest told him he questioned what Jesus would do and then proceeded, based on that wisdom. Jesus would have extended communion to that woman.

There are many learned theologians on this site and while they might waste their time refuting the belaboured points in "Wake Up and Smell The Stench," I cannot. I am not qualified to represent or speak for all Christian values in this rebuttal.

Instead, I would like to take issue with the reviews and responses to controversial postings.I have read many and encourage other members to do the same. By going to the story, there is a box on the right hand side of the screen that says VIEW RATINGS. Have fun!

Usually an author who has a strong POV will exhibit charm in their gracious acceptance speech for five and six star ratings, while taking great exception to those who might question the content,diasagree with points or critisize technical weaknesses. Sadly, the author's passion might over rule the normal courteous responses a reviewer might expect.

I am reminded of a senior military officer who said, "The best defence is an offence."

Without reference to the posting discussed, I am amazed that many true Christians feel they must defend God and stand up righteously if his name is invoked, regardless from whom the message is birthed. These are the same people who cannot delete their E-mails because Jesus appears in the subject line and inadvertently pollute their computers with the SPAM that is hidden behind the halo.

People do and will continue to wage wars in the name of God. There is a death toll in each crusade and I am saddened that even a literary war has victims

Thank God we live in a country that allows us freedom of expression!









Recognized


Edited by FS request.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Spiritual Echo All rights reserved.
Spiritual Echo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.