Horror and Thriller Flash Fiction posted January 5, 2011


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A deep dark woods in May

Spring Cleaning

by Realist101

What remains, lies hidden in the compost of the spring woods.

I know where it is. And how it came to be there too.

This warm sunshine brings out the small life that has been frozen in time the past several months and now, the tiny denizens go about the task of spring cleaning. Other creatures too, hatch, and are hungry.

A helicopter beats the air overhead, its rotors a brief disruption in the cycle of life and death taking place just out of sight.

The insects below it stop their incessant nibbling until the vibration fades and is gone.

And soon, as the birds sing again and a new sunbeam warms what is left of my flesh and gleaming bones, the multitude of maggots resume.



Recognized


Wondering how many people are killed and left to rot in a woods somewhere, never to be found. Thank you for reading and to Photobucket.com for the loan of a neat picture!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Realist101 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Realist101 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.