Romance Fiction posted December 20, 2010 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
CAssie and Sara are reuntied.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 12; part three

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with Sara, the baby sister of his best friend, Josh. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. Josh was killed during Desert Storm.
"The helicopter pilot's getting restless. Ready to board? How many passengers are there?"

After Joe heard Matt's voice, he turned toward the window. "Tell the pilot to leave. The leader's dead and the three left can't make a decision."

The shorter one slugged Joe's right jaw. "I'm in charge. My first order's to kill you." He grabbed the knife from behind his belt, sliced Joe's left arm, then held it against Joe's throat.

The heavyset guy grabbed his arm. "You can't kill him. He's our ticket out of here." He yanked the knife from his partner's hand. "We need him alive for insurance."

Matt's voice bellowed through the window. "What should I tell the pilot?"

The shortest man yelled, "We're on our way."

"How many passengers?"

"Seven."

The helicopter's engines roared. Matt yelled, "We're ready for take-off."

"Call off the snipers and back everybody to the frontage road," the short man hollered.

"It's just the pilot and me. Count to twenty-five and I'll be gone."

The tallest man watched from the window and saw Matt walk away. "He's gone. We're ready."

With his hands tied behind his back and blood dripping from his arm, Joe stepped onto the front porch. Cassie followed with her hands bound. The shortest man followed.

Joe noticed a light flash from a tree branch. He slowed, made sure he was within reach of Cassie, and glanced back. When he saw the man clear the porch, he pushed his body into Cassie, knocking her behind a bush and protected her body with his. At the same moment, a bullet whizzed past him and hit that man.

The other two men slammed the front door shut. They returned gunfire through the front windows.

Joe wiggled his hands until he loosened the rope around them. Once freed, he untied Cassie's. He shoved her body against the house, before unbuttoning his shirt. "Put this on."

Tears streamed down her cheeks. Once the shirt was buttoned, she whispered, "Are we going to live through this?"

"Of course." He noticed Matt huddled behind the tail fin of the helicopter. "Cassie, I need you to slide alongside the house." He pointed to the right. "Never step away from the house."

She grabbed his hand. "What about you?"

"I'm going to be by your side every step of the way." He nodded toward the right. "Start walking."

At the corner of the house, Joe made eye contact with Matt. He noticed Matt say something into the communication system. Within seconds, eight men formed a line, covering them with guns blazing. Cassie and Joe sneaked behind them.

Matt handed Joe a weapon. "You'll need this."

Joe accepted it and checked the clip. "Any idea on how we get Cassie out of here?"

Before Matt could answer, Eric ran to them. "I ordered another helicopter. It'll land down the frontage road about a quarter mile to your left." He glanced at the one in front of them. "It couldn't be a safe take-off."

With the sound of another helicopter behind them, Matt stared at Joe. "Get Cassie to safety. The hospital's expecting both of you. I'll stay here and rescue the other two girls."

Joe and Cassie jogged to the helicopter. Once seated, Cassie's tears flowed. Joe held her until they landed.

*****
George put his cell phone away. "Matt said Cassie's on her way to the hospital."

Sara ran toward the front door, paused, and glanced at George. "Is she hurt? Why is she going to the hospital?"

"She's not hurt. She's just getting checked-out."

"Hurry!"

*****
The hospital information desk clerk directed George and Sara to the area where Cassie was being examined. Sara opened the door and walked in as the doctor finished. "Cassie?"

"Mom."

The doctor glanced at her. "She's a lucky young lady; only a few scratches and bruises, nothing serious. I want her to spend the night for observation."

Sara rushed to Cassie and hugged her.

Joe opened the curtain between them. "Cassie, are you finished with my shirt?"

Sara noticed his bruised jaw and the stitches in both arms. "Why does Cassie have your shirt and are you all right?"

"I'm fine." He pulled his left arm behind his back.

"When Mr. Joe rescued me, I didn't have very many clothes on so he loaned me his shirt." Cassie pointed to a chair. "Mom, you should've been there. He's not afraid of anything. When the kidnappers tried to be tough, Mr. Joe fought back. He didn't back down."

Joe removed his shirt from the chair. "Your mom isn't interested in the details. She just wanted you home."

Sara wiped tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand, looked at Joe, then at Cassie. She gulped before she asked, "What was she wearing?"

"Don't go there. Just be happy she's home and unharmed." He buttoned the shirt.

"Mom, Mr. Joe made sure nobody else saw me. As soon as we escaped, he gave me his shirt."

"Escaped?" Sara brushed her hair back from her cheek.

"Yeah, we were getting ready to get on a helicopter when the gunfire ...."

"Your mom isn't interested in details," interrupted Joe.

"But, you were brave and it was great how you protected me and killed the bad guys." She paused, before she asked, "Can girls be secret agents?"

Joe glanced at Sara. "Yes, they can."

"No! They can't. Girls need nice safe jobs, like teachers and nurses," Sara interjected.

Joe glanced toward the door, hiding his grin. "I'm sure the excitement will wear off in a few days. You did raise her to have a mind of her own. She's just like her mom."

His eyes met hers, as he changed the subject. "I need to get back. There are two girls who need rescuing."

Sara walked up to him and placed her hand on his arm. "Joe, please ...."

"We'll talk when I get back." He stepped toward the door, but turned back and kissed her cheek. He grinned at Cassie. "Now, I've officially kissed your mom."

Sara touched her cheek and watched him leave the room. She took a deep breath, walked back to Cassie, and held her close.



Recognized


There are only about 70 pages left in this novel. If you have not read the previous chapters you will be confused about the characters and their relationships.

Thank you connied for allowing me to use Rainbow. I feel a rainbow deplicts hope after a storm.

I'm tardy in posted because the doctor gave me a choice, complete bed rest or he was going to put me in the hospital for a few days. It seems I was was exhausted with a touch of a virsus. I was ordered to take this rest issue seriously. I promise to rest more. The thought of spending Christmas in the hospital scared me.

Again, I want to thank my fans for sticking by me and I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a very wonderful New Year. God Bless.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.