Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted October 31, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Get off your butt and go see your doctor

Time to Get Serious

by Sasha

The other day I read a post by vickib entitled Melanoma Awareness.  I cannot emphasize enough how important I feel it is to read this post.
 
Basal cell carcinoma runs in my family.  It is a non-malignant form of cancer that often occurs in people with fair skin.  However, people prone to basal cell carcinoma also have a higher risk of developing a malignant form of cancer.
When out in the sun, I always wear a hat and use strong sunscreen, and pay a visit to a doctor on a regular basis.  Two weeks ago, I went in for my regular check up and the doctor found a suspicious lump on my upper lip. She performed a biopsy and a few days ago I learned what I thought was a canker sore was, in fact, lip cancer; a relatively rare form of cancer known as squamous cell carcinoma.  Lip cancer is most treatable and curable if caught in the earliest stages of the disease.  Because of my family history of basal cell carcinoma and seeing the doctor regularly, mine was caught early.
 
I am scheduled to have surgery on Thursday.  I do not anticipate any complications.  My doctor is excellent and I have complete confidence in her ability.  As some of you know, I have dealt with cancer before.  I had breast cancer twenty years ago that required three separate surgeries, chemotherapy, and radiation over a period of five years.  It is unlikely that I will require either chemotherapy or radiation this time, but I will know for sure after the pathologist submits her report.
 
I am posting this because I feel it is important that all of you take your health seriously and not hesitate to see your doctor on a regular basis.  This is especially important if you are over forty, have a family history of heart disease, hypertension, and cancer.  One of the primary reasons the death rate for all three of these diseases is so high, is that they seldom show symptoms until it is too late.   How many times have you seen a commercial telling you to get regular check ups?  How many of you have followed this advice?  I, like so many of you, thought I was the last person to have to deal with cancer.  I honestly believed it only happened to other people. 
 
Go to the doctor.  It is so foolish not to.  Please do not put your life in jeopardy.  "If only you had come in six-months ago" are words neither you, nor your family ever want to hear your doctor say.




Recognized


Now stop crying and freaking out. I AM GOING TO BE JUST FINE!!!! I am seeing the best doctor in Mazatlan...thanks to Juanito my dear, dear friend. So lighten up, but please do make that appointment and see your doctor.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sasha All rights reserved.
Sasha has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.