Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted October 5, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Reflective

Always Open

by Thesis

She didn't lock her door Contest Winner 
She didn't lock her door. It was always open to any who wanted to come in. It wasn't locked when they broke her beautiful stained glass windows, desecrated her altar, stole her prayer rugs or ripped the poor box off the wall.

She stayed open during the flood, gave refuge to those affected by the tornado, and even when she was sprayed with hate messages on her limestone walls.

She cried when they burned her Bible, stole her Koran or robbed her Torah, but rejoiced when the children entered her doors. Through them, she saw hope.

Her goal was to offer herself to enlighten people about their faith: to provide them a safe haven and to allow people to find themselves. But most of all, she prided herself on being a house of worship, which is why she never locked her door.



Writing Prompt
Write a poem or short story beginning with the words 'She didn't lock her door...' This may stand alone or be a part of a sentence. Maximum word count: 1,000.

She didn't lock her door
Contest Winner

Recognized


A rather short piece with a big impact.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Thesis All rights reserved.
Thesis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.