Western Flash Fiction posted September 21, 2010


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
the last ride ... practice micro flash

Mustang Heaven

by Realist101

This stand of aspen trees and hopefully God's mercy, are my shelter on this gray, windy fall day. I lean back on the little tree's sturdy trunk, while I scream inside with fear and torment.

Not so far away, the Teton mountains reach for the lead sky, their peaks, promises of a stairway to Heaven. I wonder what it is all about. Life. I am lost inside my mind, wanting what I can never have. And I cry. My tears, hot and burning down my cheeks, only serve to make me feel weak; it is strength that I need now.

The little mare that carried me these miles away from civilization, grazes just feet away, her munching the only sound, save for the pounding of my heart.

I do not want to go back. I'm already in heaven, beneath this Western sky. They can't hurt me or my beautiful horse; if I can just stay here.

I take her saddle and bridle off, she is of mustang stock and will find the wild herds.

I can never go back. I raise the barrel of my .38 and put it to my temple.



Recognized


Thank you for reading and any comments welcome. Just trying to learn flash FICTION!") Please let me know about the apostrophes??? AHhhhhh!!! And special thanks to fotoman744 for the use of a beautiful picture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Realist101 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Realist101 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.