Romance Fiction posted May 22, 2010 Chapters:  ...46 47 -48- 49... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leya reveals more of her past.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 14; Part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
When Steven returned from getting Leya something to eat, he found her asleep. He leaned over and kissed her forehead, and she stirred. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

"I was only resting. What did you bring me?" She rubbed her eyes as she looked at the white sacks in his hand and smiled. Opening one, she saw a chocolate caramel candy bar. "Thank you." She bit her lower lip, then whispered, "I didn't think you'd remember."

"I even remember the pre-med book that sat on your nightstand with the kitten bookmark inside. You must read it every day by the way you moved the bookmark." I also remember the poems you wrote.

A healthy shade of red tinted her cheeks. "I don't think there's any nutritional value in candy bars."

"True, but it makes you smile."

Her lips pouted. "Can I eat it first?"

He chuckled. "You're an adult. You don't need my permission."

She removed the wrapper and slowly ate, enjoying every bite. When she finished, she licked her lips. "Thank you."

His eyebrows rose and he rubbed the back of his neck. "You're welcome, but you need to eat your dinner."

She opened another bag and took out a Styrofoam box; grilled chicken breast, rice, and a salad. She started to open the next box.

Steven took it from her and grinned. "You've eaten one dessert. This has to wait until everything else is gone."

"A deal's a deal."

He watched her take a bite of chicken. "I haven't thanked you for saving my life."

Leya stared at her lap. "I wondered when I'd get lectured."

"I'm not chastising you, I'm thanking you."

"But I murdered a man. Not just any man, but my father."

He moved to the bed and sat beside her. "You shot your father to save my life and probably your own life. Do you really think he would've set you free?"

"He might have forced me to marry Carlos."

"Now would be a good time to tell me the entire story as to why you didn't want to marry Carlos?"

"I told you. I wanted to marry a man who loves me."

"I believe that, but I also believe there's more to it. You were willing to lose your virginity to a total stranger to stop that marriage. There has to be more."

Leya silently finished eating. "I ate my dinner. May I have the final dessert?" He handed it to her. When she opened the box and saw a piece of chocolate truffle cake, moisture entered her eyes. "Thank you."

"I didn't mean to make you cry."

"You didn't."

Steven stared at the ceiling. "Why me?" He shook his head. "What are the tears for?"

"These are 'what did I do to deserve you being so nice to me tears'."

"I don't understand you. Can I apologize now for every mistake I'm going to make while I figure you out?"

"You're really worried about this, aren't you?"

"Yes. I find you confusing. We don't come close to thinking alike."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Not really, but sometimes I think you're going to react one way and you respond the opposite."

She fell silent. When she finished her cake, she blew out a deep breath. "While I was a senior at finishing school...." She paused and stared at the empty cake box.

Steven watched. I wonder where this is heading.

She used her finger to wipe the remaining frosting on the lid, and then she licked it. "My roommate, Jaime, was alone in our dorm room." She glanced away from him. "I'm not sure I can do this."

"I don't know what you're trying to tell me, but I wish you would continue." He held her hand.

"Carlos showed up at the door looking for me. Jaime told him I was at swimming practice and would be home in fifteen minutes. He demanded she get me. Jaime refused."

Leya wiped her tears with a Kleenex. "When I walked into the room, Carlos had been beating Jaime the entire time he'd waited. He began beating me for making him wait. Campus security showed up and arrested him, but my father paid the school a large amount of money so the incident would disappear.
Jaime had a broken arm and a broken collarbone. She spent three weeks in the hospital with internal bleeding. I was only badly bruised that time."

"There were other times?" he asked rubbing the back of this neck.

"Our fathers signed the marriage contract at our hacienda. After they signed it, I went outside trying to think of how I was going to avoid marrying him. Carlos followed me. He decided he was going to get an early start on our wedding night. He said I already belonged to him, so why wait."

She took an extra pillow and hugged it. "I refused and fought back. My mother came out and stopped him. This time I received a few broken ribs. My father said Carlos had every right to sample the merchandise." She squeezed the pillow tighter. "Mother won that time."

"I understand why you'd do anything to keep from marrying him." He caressed her arm.

She stared into his green eyes. "Earlier you said I'm your lover, best friend, and life partner. Did you mean it?"

"Yes, even if you refuse to accept my apology. I will always love you."

"Can you give me time to process this?"

He kissed her. "Take all the time you need."

She rolled on to her side away from him, and Steven sat in the chair beside her bed.


******
A few moments later, Ralph walked into the room and raised an eyebrow, and Steven grinned. "I guess Matt sent you to ensure I'm staying out of trouble."

"Yep, you guessed right." He chuckled.

Leya rolled over. "Steven, may I speak with Ralph alone?"

"I'll get a cup of coffee. Do you want anything?"

She smiled. "Some ice cream would've gone perfect with my cake."

"I'll see what I can do." He closed the door behind him.

She sat up. "May I ask some questions?"

"Sure, but I may not know the answers."

She hesitated. "How do you know if some one truly loves you?"

"That's a hard one. If you're asking if Steven loves you, I'd say the answer's yes." He sat down before he continued, "Marriage is hard. You and Steven haven't known each other very long. I immediately noticed the chemistry between you two." He studied his hands. "You've tried to ignore your feelings and couldn't. I doubt you'll be able to ignore them this time either. Steven tried to ignore his feelings and couldn't. He's come to the conclusion he might as well give in. Maybe you should come to the same conclusion."

"But?"

"But what?"

"What if he hurts me again?"

"I was there and know how hard it was on you. It was equally as hard for Steven to walk away. I doubt he's willing to go through that again. He made a mistake. Are you going to punish him to a life sentence without parole? Hasn't he paid enough?" He thought a few moments. "I believe you and Steven are meant for each other. He's the one true love of your life. Are you willing to throw that away?"

Leya rolled over. "Thank you."

*****
Ralph exited the room, saw Steven leaning against the wall drinking a cup of coffee, and walked toward him. "I think she's finished with our conversation. I'm going to the hotel. I'll be back first thing in the morning."

"Thanks. Tell Matt since he left I haven't been in any trouble."

Ralph laughed as he walked away.

Steven entered Leya's room. "If you're still interested, I found some ice cream."

She rolled over, saw the ice cream in his hand, and sat up. "Thank you."

He handed it to her and saw tear stained cheeks. "Is there anything we need to talk about?"

"No, I need to think."

She ate the ice cream in silence, before she glanced at Steven. "Would you do something for me?"

"Of course, what do you need?"

She whispered, "Would you hold me?"

"You never need to be shy about asking me to hold you." As tears rolled down her cheeks, he felt the moisture through his shirt. "Are you all right?"

"No, but there's nothing you can do. Just hold me."

He closed his eyes and felt the fear and pain in her body. "Can I stay in the room with you tonight?"

She nodded as she rolled over.

He thought she was asleep, when she asked, "Steven, do you think love ever ends?"

"True love never ends. True love learns to survive during the hard times. Love is like any other growing thing. It has to work its way through the manure to blossom."



Recognized


If you happen to be a first time reader, please understand that this manuscript is coming to an end, and the characters were adquately described in previous chapters. Thank you Angelheart for the beautiful artwork, Soul Storm. To me this artwork describes the storm Leya is feeling as she's working through the pain of being hurt. There are only 24 pages left. In the following posts, there will be plenty of action and turmoil. I want to thank my fans for following me to the end. I appreciate each one of you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.