Romance Fiction posted March 13, 2010 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leya participates in the volleyball game.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 10; part three

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
The following morning, Ralph knocked on Leya's door holding a breakfast tray. "You feel all right? When you didn't come down for breakfast, I got a little worried," he said as he cracked the door open.

"I'm fine." She opened the door wider and accepted the tray. "I had problems getting up this morning. Thank you. I was afraid I'd missed it."

"Did you think a house full of men would allow a lady to go hungry?" He chuckled.

"I guess not." Leya smiled. "Thank you again. When I finish, I'll bring the tray down." She peered around Ralph, hoping to get a glimpse of Steven.

"Steven went to town early this morning."

"I'll be finished in a few minutes." She nibbled a piece of toast absent-mindedly.

"He didn't tell us why," Ralph teased.

"I didn't ask." She closed the door.

"Your eyes did."

Leya heard him laugh, then Ralph pushed the door open without knocking.

"I almost forgot, but Steven said you could call your mother. Let me know when you're ready."

"Thank you." She smiled as she watched the door close.

*****
An unusual silence pervaded the house as Leya returned the tray to the kitchen. When she searched the house and found no one, she began worrying. Reaching the basement, she heard men's voices. She opened the door and walked down the stairs in the direction of the sound.

She came upon an Olympic size pool. Derek, Jim, Bob, and Geoff were playing water volleyball. Leya walked over to Ralph and asked, "What are you doing?"

"The chain link fence surrounding the property is linked into these security monitors." He pointed to the screens. "Nobody can get within one hundred yards without alarms going off." He showed her how the monitors surveyed the area before he said loudly, "Since the men in charge of your security are playing, I've been watching the monitors."

She turned toward the men and smiled. "I haven't even been here for twenty-four hours. I doubt I'm in any real danger." She faced Ralph. "Do you think I could play? I love swimming and volleyball."

Steven stood at the bottom of the stairs. "If you promise to rest, I think you can get in the 1600 hours game. But, you need to understand the game will have a thirty-minute limit. I don't want you getting too tired."

She smiled. "When did you get back?"

"Just now." He handed her a large shopping bag. "I heard about this young lady who didn't have a jacket."

She reached inside the bag. "You went to town to get me a jacket?"

He helped her try it on. "Does it fit?"

"Perfectly. Thank you." As their eyes met, Leya turned away and stared at the pool. "I can't wait to get in the water." She stepped toward the door. "I guess I'd better rest."

Steven touched her arm. "Just a minute." After she faced him, he handed her four magazines. "I picked these up. I didn't know what you liked, but maybe they'll help keep you from getting bored as you rest."

"Thank you, but why do you do things like this for me?"

"You needed a jacket and you need to rest. I just wanted to help." He reached in his pocket and took out a chocolate caramel candy bar. "Here."

"It's my favorite. You remembered." Her eyes widened as she accepted the candy.

A slight redness crossed his face and neck. "Did you call your mom?" She shook her head, so he continued, "Let's call your mom, then you can rest." In his office, he dialed the number and handed her the receiver. He timed the call for insurance against it being traced.

*****
As the men waited for Leya, it was decided Bob, Derek, and Geoff would make a team. Steven, Leya, and Jim would be on the other team. Ralph would referee and watch the monitors.

*****
When Leya opened the door to the pool area, her eyes stared at Steven as he climbed from the pool and walked toward her. Leya released a deep breath as the water dripped from his body. This is the first time I've seen him without a shirt. I knew he was muscular, but his muscles bulge. I've heard about six-pack stomachs, but holy cow! She breathed deeply and her heart skipped a beat as she noticed the large lump in his swim trunks.

He grinned. "You ready to kick-butt?"

She lowered the sweat pants revealing her suit. "Definitely."

He shook his head. "Conservative, right?"

"You better not say a word since you're flaunting your muscles." She blushed as she covered her mouth. "I didn't say that out loud, did I?"

Ralph put his arm around her shoulders. "Yes, you did, my dear."

"Sorry."

Steven took her hand and led her to the pool. "Can you swim?"

She glanced at him, dropped his hand, went to the diving board, and did a perfect swan dive into the pool. After she swam to the volleyball net, she stood. "Does that answer your question?"

Steven climbed into the pool. "You can swim."

Derek called to Ralph, "Hey ref, we're at a disadvantage. Leya's opposite us and a distraction. Can you spot us five points?"

Jim yelled, "No way, we have to play next to her. She distracts us too."

Ralph grinned. "My ruling is she's an equal distraction for both teams. Start the game. Leya's thirty minutes are running out, and the game hasn't started."

"Steven, they're teasing, right?" asked Leya.

"Ralph, no," he teased. "The guys about you being a distraction, no. You're a definite distraction." He chuckled.

Jim served the ball. "Let's go!"

As the game continued, Leya proved to be an asset to her team. Her only problem was her height, but she more than overcame it. The game was tied 14-14.

Leya jumped hitting the ball and fell backwards. Steven caught her before she went under the water. He lifted her up. Their eyes met and they continued staring. The game came to a sudden halt, as the men watched.

Finally, Bob asked, "Is Leya tired? We can continue after a nap."

Steven ran his fingers through his wet auburn hair. "I don't know. Leya, do you need to take a break?"

She gulped before she answered, "No, I'm fine," and then whispered, "I think."

Steven took her arm and led her to the side of the pool. "I heard that. Seriously, are you all right?"

"I'm fine, really." She paused before she added, "I still haven't got used to your green eyes. They catch me off guard sometimes."

"Your eyes catch me off guard most of the time." He scanned the men waiting, then asked, "Leya, do you need to quit?"

"No." They took two steps toward the center of the pool, before Leya stopped. "Steven, wait."

He faced her. "What?"

Their eyes met. "What's happening to us?"

"I'm not sure." He took her arm. "Come on." He led her to the center of the pool and then addressed the men; "We're ready. Who serves?"

After Bob, Derek, and Geoff won, Jim announced, "I'm protesting the outcome of the game because two thirds of my team's in love so we're at a disadvantage."

Steven dunked him as he said, "You're confused, unless you're having a secret affair with Leya."

Steven glanced toward Leya. "Are you having an affair with Jim?"

"Nope, I'm not having an affair with any gringo." She used her heaviest Hispanic accent when she said the word 'gringo'.

Jim ran over to dunk Leya. "Did you call me a gringo?"

Leya eluded him, but Bob grabbed her. "I think she called all of us gringos."

Bob gently dunked her.

Ralph walked into the water fully dressed and held Leya's arm. "Let me help you." As he led her up the steps, he chastised the men, "This young lady just got out of the hospital yesterday. She almost died. I can't believe, not one of you is gentlemen enough to come to her aid."

Matt stood in the doorway and laughed. "I just breached security, but this is almost worth it." He saluted Leya. "You're good. Not even Dani could've gotten Ralph in a pool, let alone fully dressed."

"I'm sorry." She cowered.

"You're not in trouble, but we do have a problem. The security system's broken. It needs to be repaired ASAP." He grinned. "Who won the game?"

Jim pointed to Bob, Derek, and Geoff. "They did, but I was at disadvantage. I had the lovebirds on my team."

As Leya ran up the stairs toward the kitchen, she called over her shoulder with her heaviest Hispanic accent, "I told you I'm not in love with any gringo."

Matt turned toward Ralph. "I take it that's what started this." He chuckled.

Ralph nodded.

"Sorry, Matt." Steven paused, then added, "As soon as I change, we'll work on the security system." He started up the stairs, then turned around. "It's amazing what a pretty face can do to a team, isn't it?"

Matt grinned. "Yep, especially one in a swimsuit."

*****
Before Steven started on the security system, he checked on Leya. When she didn't answer his knock, he opened the door and found her asleep. He removed the premedical book from her hand, opened the folded bookmark, and read,

The man of my dreams
My soul mate and protector
The answer to my prayers
My all in all

Refolding the bookmark, he smiled and placed it inside the book before he covered her.

As he turned to leave, he noticed the swimsuit hanging up to dry. Sighing, he closed his eyes as the image of her shimming out of the sweatpants entered his mind. He shook his head and released a deep breath. The entire volley ball game was a major hard-on. Thank heavens the water was cold. He closed his eyes at the image of Leya walking from the pool. Her long black hair and skin glistened from the water drops. Her suit clung to every curve on that gorgeous body. Her erect nipples... damn, she needed more suit.

He adjusted the lump in his jeans and studied the wedding proof. After he decided which proof he liked best, he left.

Once the security system was fixed, Steven sat in his office and stared at the calendar. "I've known Leya for twenty-three days. How could I fall in love with her so fast?"



Recognized


Thank you Swank Photography for your bathing beauty. Sorry, this is longer than I usually post, but I couldn't really find a place to break it. Thank you to everyone who reads and supports me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.