Spiritual Poetry posted February 17, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a children's poem

When God Speaks to Me

by DeboraDyess

When God speaks to me,
what sound will I hear?
Will He bend down and whisper
 His words in my ear?
 
When that day happens,
just how will He talk?
Will His voice sound like Grandpa's
when we take a walk?
 
Will He voice thunder
and call me at night,
Maybe His voice is softer
like dawn's first, pale light.
 
Will words sound like Daddy’s,
all rumbly and low,
or will it be more like the wind
when it blows?
 
Will I hear an yell
or a buzz like a bee?
Just how will God’s voice sound
when He speaks to me?
 
Will it burn like a bush
in hot desert sand,
or will He walk beside me,
take hold of my hand?
 
I’m excited and listening;
I can’t wait to hear,
But Mommy says God
May not speak to my ear.
 
She’s proud that I’m list'
ning,
says that’s a good start,
‘Cause God’s already whispering
Straight into my heart.
 
 




Recognized


This is a loaded week, and I've been putting off preparing for my class on Friday. I teach 2-6 year olds (which is a different kind of challenge!) and usually try to have something original for them to correspond with the Bible lesson. This week is about Moses and the burning bush. Seems the old boy was out taking care of sheep wen he saw something he saw quite often -- a bush burning on the desert sand. But as he watched it, he realized that the flame wasn't consuming the bush, but just staying alive within it. He went to check it out and found God, the true God, for the first time in his life. It changed his life, changed his direction and changed the world. That God is still available to us, if we'll just take time to hear His voice in the mundane things of life. It's just as powerful, just as alive and jsut as fiery as it was then. I wanted a story to convey that to the kids -- that it's there, but we have to be willing to listen in every aspect of life, in every moment, or we might think it's just another 'burning bush' nad miss it.
This morning, as I was laying in bed trying to pretend like I wasn't a day off on a deadline, God literally gave me the beginning of this story. They were crystal clear in my mind, and I groped in the dark for a pen and paper, jotting as fast as I could, hoping I'd be able to read the hen-scratch later. Not sure I got it all, but I think I got most of it right. Let me know what you think.

Blessings and thanks much, Deb
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DeboraDyess All rights reserved.
DeboraDyess has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.