Essay Non-Fiction posted December 7, 2008


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Interviewing Your Characters - An exercise

Mind If I Sit Down?

by Janilou


Please see author's notes. Thanks to Simon_Morris




















One of the best writing exercises I know of, before embarking on novel writing, is to interview the major characters of  your intended story. 

Simon_Morris, a successful FanStorian, first alerted me to this delightful idea, and I've included the links to his work below in my author's notes.

I am working on the sequel of To Catch Pegasus, my romantic suspense novel about FBI agent Mike and fellow agent, Jessica St Claire. 

In the opening scene of Pegasus Rose, a shocking revelation comes to light through a death-bed confession by the notorious double agent, Blake Lane.  Mike's little sister, Rose, has been found, alive and well, twenty years after her abduction from their parents' home. 

Pegasus Rose is the story about Rose's re-entry into a life she didn't remember existed, and her struggle to find her place, while she falls in love with Federal Marshall, John Russell, whose friends affectionately refer to him as Jack. Jack is raising his daughter alone, after the child's mother died. Independent, self-motivated and hard working, he despises people who put on airs. A good hearted man, he is a strong advocate for protecting women and children from domestic violence, and spends half of his vacation time each year doing volunteer work with Habitat For Humanity. 

Rose was spoiled rotten as a child by her 'adoptive' parents. Her innocent, but undeniably rich-girl attitude leads to some interesting conflicts with the down-to-earth, Jack Russell.

Jack is assigned to protect Rose during pre-trial conferences relating to the kidnapping case and its links back to Blake Lane, Jenny Johnson, the Russian spy, and the missing two-million dollars from the end of the first Pegasus book. He has no idea how complicated his life is about to become as a result of his involvement in this case, or with this woman.

Here is my first conversation with Rose, written in a script-like format. 

The questions in bold type were suggested by Fan Story's Simon Morris, in his book, Writing For The Right Reasons, Chapter Six - Interviewing Your Characters. The others are my own.



ROSE and JANILOU talk.

Janilou: What was it like living in your home when you were growing up?

Rose: You know, I don’t remember much of my earlier life. Before the abduction. I have dreams about younger parents and a brown-haired boy, but they're vague.

Janilou: That would have been your older brother, Mike.

Rose: Yes, although I didn’t know his name. My adoptive parents were very nice. They treated me exceptionally well.

Janilou: They told you that you were adopted?

Rose: Yes, they did. They couldn’t have children. They doted on me. The only thing was, they were too afraid to let me out of their sight. They home-schooled me. I had a private tutor.

Janilou: What about friends? Did you have friends?

Rose: A few girlfriends. My parents were great about that. But I wasn’t allowed to do sleep-overs, not at all. My friends didn’t care. They liked coming to my house better anyway. I even had my own movie theater. We’d watch the latest releases and eat popcorn. Our butler, Mr. Knowles, brought us everything we wanted.

Janilou: Butler?

Rose: Yes, I called him Mr. Knobby. When I was little I couldn’t pronounce his name. So, he became Knobby to me.

Janilou (laughing): That’s cute.

Rose: Yes, he was a dear. When my parents died, sorry, but I do feel as though they were my parents, he was devastated. Uncle Victor, my dad’s brother took him in and gave him a position at his own place.

Janilou: Were there any female influences in your life, other than your mother?

Rose: We had a house-keeper called Pepi. She was Spanish and a sweetheart. Then there was Carmen. She cooked. I didn’t like her.

Janilou: You didn’t like her?

Rose: No, she was mean. If I tried to go into the kitchen, she would scream at me, and smack my fingers with a wooden spoon.

Janilou: So that’s why you don’t like cooking. It’s not that you didn’t want to learn. It’s a fear thing!

Rose: Exactly! OMG Yes. I guess I should have told Daddy, he would have fired her on the spot, but they always said what a good cook she was, and I didn’t want them to lose her.

Janilou: What was the worst experience you had as a child?

Rose: For years, I couldn’t sleep without a night light on. I had nightmares about being snatched from my bed. (She shudders) Somewhere deep in my subconscious, the memory was there. Oh, and stale beer. I can’t abide the smell. It makes me want to throw up.

Janilou: I wonder if the man who abducted you had that smell on him?

Rose: It would make sense, but I don’t know for sure.

Janilou: What was your best memory from childhood?

Rose: That’s a tough one. I think going to Disney World for my seventh birthday. Mommy and Daddy took me there for a week with two of my friends. We stayed in the Wilderness Lodge and it was wonderful! I love Disney World!

Janilou: Who were the people who raised you and what were their most memorable qualities?

Rose: Daddy’s name was Bert. Mommy’s name was Karen Beth. Memorable qualities? Kind, loving. Maybe a little old fashioned when I was a teenager, but I knew they loved me and didn’t want me to get hurt. 

Daddy worked hard at his job but he came home every night. Mommy and I used to wait for his headlights to show up in the window. I’d hide behind the door to scare him. Bless his heart, I did it for years and he always pretended to be scared! (Rose smiles)

He was an actuary for the state of New York. He worked hard, but he was a devoted father and husband.

Mommy didn’t work away from the house but she kept busy. She held sewing afternoons when she and her friends would get together and sew quilts and make beanie baby stuffed animals for the poor. She played the piano at church and she even donated food to the soup kitchens.

Janilou: They sound like lovely people. They really had no idea, did they ?

Rose: Oh, no! They thought the adoption was completely legitimate. They even had the paperwork looked over by their attorney and he assured them it was all good.

Janilou: Who are you today?

Rose: Interesting question. Now if you’d asked me that six months ago. . . . (Laughs out loud)  Who am I? I hope I’m someone who has a great deal to give to a relationship. As a wife and as a mother. I’ve always wanted children but not just one. I hated being an only child. That’s why it’s been so wonderful to find out about my brother, Mike, and not only that, my other brother, Jacob. He’s a lot older than Mike. I guess we were kind of spread out. The Johnsons had their children quite a few years apart.

Janilou: The Johnsons. You say that kind of awkwardly. You’re not one hundred percent comfortable with them, yet?

Rose (Sighs): Not yet, but it will come. I like them a lot. Funny thing is, when I look at Mrs Johnson, uh, Mom’s hair, I finally know where I got my flaming locks!

Janilou: Your hair is gorgeous, by the way. I’ve never had a red-headed heroine before.

Rose (Blushing) Thanks. It was kind of funny, not knowing who I looked like. But they’re kind of like ghosts to me. You know what I mean? I thought they were dead for all those years, and to find out they weren’t - wow. I wondered about them sometimes but I used to talk to God about them. I thought they were in heaven.

Janilou: You believe in God, then?

Rose: Oh, yes. I do. I am very close to God, and Jesus, too. I love going to church.

Janilou: Uh, oh.

Rose: What?

Janilou: I don’t think Jack is much into church going. That might cause some conflict.

Rose: Conflict’s good, right? I mean, I know we end up together and everything, but we have to struggle along the way.

Janilou (Laughing) You know too much.


to be continued . . . .




Published authors often end up with notebooks full of such conversations. The author asks the character a myriad of questions about life, their friends, desires, pets, family and themselves.

Most of the information will never be used in the novel, but it is critical to creating well-rounded characters whom the author knows well and a story that springs to life from the page.

Another interesting idea is to search through magazines until you find the perfect picture of your character as you see them in your head. Cut it out and keep it in your notebook with the questions he/she answered. 

Writing can be so much fun and your characters make great house guests! They're always ready to talk, even at three in the morning when everyone else in the house is sleeping.  The only downside is when your muse teaches them how to play poker and they sit around your brain all night playing cards, and not letting you get any sleep.

Such is a writer's life. I wouldn't change it for the world!




Recognized


If anyone is thinking about writing their first novel, I highly recommend trying this exercise. Thank you!



Reference: All bold typed questions are compliments of:

Simon_Morris Writing For All The Write Reasons
http://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=131777

Chapter Six of the above: Interviewing Your Characters:

http://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=129112
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janilou All rights reserved.
Janilou has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.