Horror and Thriller Fiction posted July 1, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A woman is wary of a stranger on the subway.

Paranoia

by redrider6612

Jenna joined the throng boarding the subway car, juggling purse, briefcase and grocery bag. Sitting down by an old lady reading a book, she glanced around before setting the bag down between her feet. She was careful not to meet anyone’s eyes for more than a second. Apparently there was an unwritten rule that locking gazes was rude and could cause trouble.
 
Pulling out her People magazine, she tried to focus on an article about Madonna, but it was difficult with the hairs prickling on the back of her neck. Glancing around furtively, she saw a young man four rows down and across the aisle staring at her. His eyes steadily met hers. He wore a navy hoodie and had piercings in both eyebrows and one nostril. Alarm zinged through her.
 
Shifting uncomfortably, Jenna glanced at the woman beside her. She was still reading, apparently unaware of the guy’s rudeness. Jenna returned to the article, determined to ignore him.
 
The subway car stopped, and a wave of people got off, replaced by one coming in. Jenna glanced up and her heart jumped into her throat.  The guy had moved a row closer and he was still staring. She gave him a nervous smile, to defuse any evil intent he might have. He lifted his chin at her, whatever that meant. She went back to her magazine, but couldn’t concentrate.
 
Another stop brought another influx and outflow of passengers. Jenna snuck another look. Her pulse doubled and her breathing picked up. He was now only two rows away.  

“Excuse me,” she whispered to the lady beside her.
 
“Yes?” the woman replied loudly.
 
“Shhh!  Where are you getting off?”
 
“Friendship Heights.”
 
Relief swept through the young woman. That was the stop before hers. She’d gladly walk five blocks to escape assault—or worse.
 
“Can I get off with you? That young man is staring at me.”
 
The old lady glanced around, making no attempt to hide her curiosity. “Where?”
 
“Shhh! Nevermind where. Can I get off with you?”
 
She shrugged. “Sure.” Then she went back to her novel.
 
The Dupont Circle stop almost emptied the car and only a handful of people got on. She peeked and almost had heart failure. He was in the next row now. As the subway car jerked, the young man suddenly leaned towards her. She reared back, terrified.
 
“Excuse me,” the guy said. “Don’t I know you?”
 
Pale, eyes wide, Jenna shook her head vehemently.
 
“Aren’t you Jenna Parker? From Baltimore?”
 
Mouth dry, Jenna swallowed hard. How did he know that?
 
Up close, he wasn’t as scary. Looking past the piercings and the five-o’clock shadow, she saw warm brown eyes and straight, white teeth. Maybe he wasn’t a rapist or murderer, though she'd heard they often looked normal.
 
“Who’s asking?” she challenged.
 
“I’m your nephew.”
 
At her blank look, he chuckled. “I know, it’s been years. Last time you saw me, I wasn’t even shaving yet.” Rubbing his jaw, he grimaced. “Most days, anyway.”
 
Jenna narrowed her eyes at him as her heartbeat started to return to normal. He did look familiar. The eyes were just like her sister, Chloe’s.
 
The old lady suddenly stood. “My stop, dear. Coming?”
 
Jenna smiled absently and shook her head. “Thanks.”
 
Her nephew watched the exchange with interest. As the car started again, he gave her a teasing grin. “You thought I was a mugger or something, didn’t you?”
 
Jenna scoffed. “Of course not.  She’s a friend. Sometimes I get off with her and walk the last few blocks.” 

He didn’t look convinced.  She changed the subject. “So tell me, how’s your mother?”
 
Sliding into the seat beside her, he pressed a gun against her ribs. “Dead. Like you’re gonna be if you don’t pretend nothing’s wrong,” he said low. Jenna’s blood ran cold and he chuckled. “Saw your name and address on the magazine. Gambled you mighta had a nephew you ain’t seen for awhile. Guess I was right.”
 
Jenna’s eyes darted around desperately as he forced her to get off with him at the next stop.
 
Nobody was looking.



Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


This is flash fiction, under 700 words. The subject is 'the subway'. I've never tried flash fiction before and decided I wanted the challenge.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. redrider6612 All rights reserved.
redrider6612 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.