Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted April 21, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Thoughts about the next big election.

Conservative or Liberal

by Terry Broxson


Often, my writing tries to look at the humorous side of things. Not today. 
 
A couple of years ago, I created a contest called Write a Rant. The powers at FS liked it and have repeated it many times, which has been fun to read. I never entered the contests, but this post will be in the next one because that's where it belongs. 
 
My first presidential vote happened in November 1968.  I voted for Hubert Humphrey. I wanted the war in Vietnam to end. I never could abide Richard Nixon.
 
Over the years, I have voted for Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, and Independents. Besides, HHH, I voted for Jimmy in '78. He is a wonderful man and the best ex-president, but he was a mistake at the time. 
 
Turning my attention to this upcoming presidential election, I offer my opinion for what it's worth. You do get some funny money for reading it. Or at least pretend you read it. 
 
I look at the two most likely candidates and see three issues: policies, character, and ability.
 
For the most part, I like the conservative policies better.
 
Oh, I think they are wrong about global warming. I would like them to protect the environment better.  Why can't we have a sagacious path that allows us to use our resources while preserving them? Dang, we killed 60 million buffalos, got 'em down to 300. We can do better.
 
Conservatives, please keep your noses out of people's love life. That's just not the government's business.
 
Abortion. Now that's a hot issue. I get it. It's emotional and complicated. In 1920, women in America got the right to vote.  Here we are a hundred-four years later. The government's answer for abortion is to regulate a woman's body. Maybe it's only fair and could be more effective to regulate a man's penis.
 
Here's an idea.
 
"The government now requires approval permits (with appropriate fees) and will supervise the insertion of any penis into any vagina. Violators will be subject to felony charges and a fine of $25,000 plus a forty-year prison sentence." That might solve the problem. 
 
Don't get me wrong. The liberals are off-base forgiving college debts. We need to be responsible in how we try to help people. Freebies don't help anyone.
 
Immigration.
 
We need immigrants, and some of them need to be here. Can both sides dial down the rhetoric and figure out how to make it work? Why can a country established by immigrants not remember its history and learn ways to improve it?
 
The national debt.
 
What's the matter with politicians? The country is over 30 trillion dollars in debt and broke. The interest cost alone is 900 billion dollars a year. This year's deficit is 2.6 trillion dollars. Have you heard a liberal or conservative say, "Whoa, we got to do something?" They do say something. "It's the other side's fault."
 
Liberals and conservatives love to point the middle finger at each other.
 
Religion.
 
The conservatives proudly say they have more of it. I doubt that's true. But if it is, I'm happy for all of them. Please keep religion in the churches. Religion belongs in people's hearts and lives, not in the policies of government. Let's remember our country was founded on religious freedom. That applies to those who choose not to have religion.
 
Character.
 
A person of good character is not defined by their political views.  Remember, I generally prefer the conservative's policies.
 
Show me a conservative who is not a misogynist, a convicted sexual abuser, who thinks it's okay to grab a woman's crotch because he's a celebrity, and also a serial cheater on his wives. 

Show me a conservative who doesn't have 4,000 lawsuits over taxes, business dealings, defamation claims, and other legal disputes.
 
Please show me a conservative without four business bankruptcies.

Please show me a conservative who has served in any political office and lost a close election—and then not lied about how he won. Even though no evidence was ever found to support his claim.

Show me a conservative who doesn't belittle people, their families, their beliefs, their communities, the way they look, or if they have a disability.
 
What happened to civil discourse in politics? 
 
Ability.
 
I want a candidate with the mental and physical capacity to do the job for the next four years. If they cannot complete their term, please convince me their backup plan is viable. That's going to be a hard sell for me.
 
 
I want a candidate who spends the next four years focused on the issues of America and the world, not a candidate who has a crusade to get even or punish those who disagree with them. A candidate like that is a no-go for me. 
 
Please find me a candidate who can provide leadership with energy, intelligence, stewardship, and dignity. I will do my best to live long enough to vote for them.
 
 
Now, I feel better.
 
 
 
 
 
 
  



Write A Rant contest entry

Recognized

#11
April
2024
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.