Romance Fiction posted March 17, 2024 Chapters:  ...53 54 -55- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Does Emma accept Seth's proposal?

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Chapter 37

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 48 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"It's getting late. Ace and I need to be going." Seth stood and opened the front door. "Boys, take the lady for her walk."

Emma walked to him and kissed him. The kisses continued until Molly returned.

Seth sighed. "Good night. I'll drop by the bakery in the morning. If you need anything, I'm only a phone call away. Love you."

"Love you, too."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 37

Early Friday morning Seth walked into Winters', and Susan greeted him, "Good morning, you're earlier than normal. Ready for coffee?"

"Mornin'. I have coffee in the cruiser, but I'm always up for another cup. The reason I came in is to ask a favor. I'm planning a special surprise for Emma. Can you make sure she doesn't get home until a little after six o'clock?"

"Sure."

Seth avoided eye contact. "I'll be in my usual times, so she doesn't get suspicious." He paused. "I'm sure you'll be the first person she calls."

Susan smiled. "I have a feeling I already know. We'll see if I'm right."

*****
Just after six o'clock Emma pulled into the garage as her phone rang. "Hi, Seth. I just got home."

"Can you come outside through the back garage door?"

"Sure, but why?"

"You'll see."

Emma walked through the back door.

Her eyes widened as she saw a long white rope strung from the back porch to a tree by the pond. "What's going on?" She noticed paper attached and read, "On June 4th, I met this beautiful, young waitress at Winters' Bakery and Bookstore. She was line dancing with Ms. Sadie. My life changed at that very moment."

Emma read the next, "Later that evening she stopped by my place and asked about her garage door opener. I got to know her better when her fur ball ran off. I removed a glass sliver from her foot."

Following the rope and reading the notes, Emma paused when one told of her giving him the friendship bracelet. He remembered and kept it.

Almost at the end of the rope and the messages, music started. Seth played and sang, 'In Case You Didn't Know'. Tears welled in her eyes. Perfect song for a man who's stingy with his words. This is a timeline of our relationship. Why'd he do this?

Emma continued until she came to the tree by the pond.

Potted tulips surrounded Seth, as she asked, "What are you doing?"

On one knee, he opened a small box. "Emma, will you marry me?"

She knelt in front of him and studied his eyes. "Are you sure?"

His left eyebrow rose. "I'm sure. Why?"

"You look confused."

"I'm confused because I thought you knew I love you."

"I do know you love me, but you'll spend the rest of your life shaking your head and being confused."

Seth chuckled. "I don't shake my head because I'm confused. I shake it because some of the things you do amaze me."

"Like climbing on the shelter roof?"

"That's a good example." Seth took Emma's hand. "You amaze and sometimes confuse me. I'm sure being married to you, I'll never be bored. I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. I've never been more serious." He hesitated. "Oscar Wilde once said, 'Women are made to be loved, not understood.' I agree with him."

Emma studied Seth's eyes for a few moments before she threw her arms around his neck, knocked him over, and smothered him with kisses. "Yes."

As the kisses lingered, Seth rolled over on top of her. I hope she doesn't expect a long engagement. He adjusted his arms, did a pushup from her, and then offered his hand to help her up. He held up the engagement ring. "I hope you like it and will marry me."

He set his jaw as he glanced at his ringing phone. "Sorry, but I need to take this." He stepped away.

Emma waited a little while and then started taking down the rope. I think I'll save this and add to it as our life together continues.

Before Seth joined her, she'd finished putting up the rope and had carried inside most of the tulip pots and put them on the dog porch. When he came inside, her eyes met his. "Do you need to go back to the office?"

"No. The reason the call took so long was I refused to go in tonight. I made sure of that." Seth took her hand and pointed to the couch. "Please sit."

After they sat, Seth said, "I'm sorry my proposal got interrupted. I want you to know you're the most important person in my life. I won't allow my job to come between us." He held up his phone. "I've turned it off."

"I know I'm important to you. I also know you have an important job. We'll get interrupted many times, I know and understand it. It's okay."

Seth held up the ring. "I didn't get to put this on your finger." He took Emma's hand, kissed it, and placed the ring on her finger. "Emma?"

Her eyes lit up the room. "It's beautiful. I'd be honored to marry you."

"Thank you." He chuckled. "No cell phones will be allowed on our honeymoon."

THE END!!!

*****
I'd like to share that my novel, 'Football - A Novel' was the title as I posted on FanStory, is now published and was released on Amazon. It's new title is 'Love For The Win'. I'll post more about it next week.
*****
~~~~~
Brett Young - In Case You Didn't Know (Official Music Video)






~~~~~
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Winters - the bakery/bookstore Emma's parents own.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Sheriff Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager

Ronald Calhoun - dated Emma her senior year of high school

Elizabeth Higgins - 'Lizzy' pregnant teenage girl

Calvin and Gretchen Higgins - Parents of Elizabeth Higgins



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#1
March
2024


Thank you, Google Images, for the photo of an engagement ring surrounded by tulips and YouTube for Brett Young's 'In Case You Didn't Now'.

The ending of this novel is now posted and is titled, 'Innocent Love'. Please if you have a better idea, share it with me. Naming a novel is harder, for me, than writing it. Chapter 37 is posted in its entirety and is a little over 800 words.

I appreciate the time you took to read this post. I appreciate the help editing. I want to thank those who've read the entire novel as I posted and those newcomers who became fans as they read. Your encouragement is what keeps me writing. THANK YOU!!!!!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.