Romance Fiction posted March 10, 2024 Chapters:  ...52 53 -54- 55 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emma answers Seth's question about her feelings for him.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Chapter 36

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 46 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Watching Emma for a few moments, he kissed her cheek and whispered, "I guess you're asleep." He shook his head. At least you're doing a good imitation. He turned to leave.

In the hallway, Seth closed her door. Now, what?

While he stood there, he heard Emma, "Ace, stop."

Seth opened the door and watched Ace nuzzle Emma.

Emma released a breath when she noticed Seth's muscular frame fill the doorway. He grinned. "Ace didn't want me to leave. I wonder why?"

Avoiding eye contact, she said, "No idea."

"Maybe he wanted you to play another song."

"You heard?"

Seth stepped closer to the bed and removed his cowboy boots. "Move over. It's late."

"But..."

He lay beside her. "Goodnight, Emma."

Emma laid her head against Seth's shoulder. "Goodnight."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 36

It was decided that the Wednesday, a week after Keith died, Emma would return to her home. If things went well, both Susan and Emma would return to work the following Monday and routine activities would resume.

*****
Tuesday morning, Jake entered Seth's office, saw him fingering a small box, staring at a calendar, and asked, "You look deep in thought. What's going on?"

"Tomorrow, it'll be two weeks since Keith died. Emma starts district orientation in three weeks."

"What's in the box? I hear concern. What you thinking about?"

Seth shoved the box inside a desk drawer. "It's nothing. I'm wondering how teaching will affect Emma. Think it's too soon after Keith died?"

"I think teaching and starting a new routine will help Emma heal. I don't think it's too soon for you two to be engaged either."

Seth opened a file on his desk. "Two more boys named the same boys as the leaders of the CWB. Within a few days, this should be a closed case."

Ignoring Seth, Jake pulled up a chair and sat. "Buddy, it's me you're talking to. Don't pretend you haven't thought about marrying Emma."

"We just met, forty-six days ago, to be exact."

Jake chuckled. "Only you would've counted the days. You two have been through a lot. More than some couples have in a life time. You're good together and draw on each other's strengths." He paused. "You're always too serious. Since meeting Emma, you enjoy life. I like that side of you."

He grinned. "So do I." Picking up his coffee cup, he realized it was empty. "I'd need to head to the bakery and get more coffee. You coming?"

"Before we go, are you thinking about proposing?"

Seth ignored the question and headed toward the bakery.

*****
When Jake and Seth walked into Winters, Emma sat at the counter with her back to the front door. They walked up and glanced over her shoulder. Seth pecked her cheek. "What has your attention?"

Her smile lit up the bakery. "I didn't hear you come in." She pointed to the laptop computer screen. "My application for the master's degree program."

Jake's eyes widened. "I heard you were thinking about it."

"I'm not planning on starting classes until January, but I thought I'd better apply now."

Seth nodded. "Good idea."

Emma stood. "I'll get your coffee and pastries."

She brought their favorite orders to their regular table. "Where's Carl? Is he on this way?"

"He's been working so much; I gave him a couple of days off."

"That's nice. A benevolent boss."

Jake chuckled. "I've never heard you referred to as benevolent before."

Her eyes sparkled as she said, "He is." A moment later she said, "Pastor Pat dropped by earlier. He's canceled your class at the church tomorrow, my youth groups, and my summer reading program. They'll continue as usual next week."

Seth nodded. "That's probably a good idea."

Ms. Sadie entered the bakery and pointed at her feet. "Emma, I have my dancing shoes on." She walked up to Seth and took his hand. "Let's go, boyfriend."

Emma started the music. "Everybody, line dance time." She motioned for Jake to join her, and they led the line dance as other patrons joined.

During the dance, George Elliot walked in. Emma encouraged him to join. When the first danced ended, she restarted the music. "One more time."

At the end of the second dance, George said, "Ms. Winters?"

She smiled. "When Ms. Sadie comes in, we do two-line dances. She loves to dance."

He cocked his head. "Of course."

Susan came from the kitchen. "George, I'm glad you're here. Can we talk? Will you speak with these contractors about...?" Her voice trailed off as they entered Keith's former office.

Emma refilled Seth's and Jake's coffee cups, as Elizabeth Higgins stood just inside the front door.

Walking to her, Emma hugged her. "Lizzy, how are you doing?"

"I'm sorry about your dad." She scanned the bakery. "Maybe it's not a good time."

"Are you here for a job?" After Elizabeth nodded, Emma continued, "Then it's the perfect time. Let's go to the office."

On the way, Elizabeth said, "I'm keeping the baby."

Emma's eyes met Seth's and she nodded. "I'm glad to hear it. Please remember, I'm here to help in any way possible."

"My parents contacted Pastor Pat. He's been a big help."

"Good." Emma knocked on the closed office door. When it opened, she said, "Mom, you remember Elizabeth Higgins, right?" After Susan welcomed her, Emma continued, "She'd like a part-time job. I was thinking I have three weeks before I start with the school district's training. I could train her, and she could take my position."

Susan nodded. "It sounds like a good plan."

George nudged Susan. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. Keith and I knew she might be coming in. He approved it on Emma's recommendation."

Sighing George said, "Okay."

Emma's eyes met Elizabeth's. "Can you start tomorrow?"

"What time?"

"I come in about seven."

"Thank you."

After Elizabeth left, Emma updated George on her circumstances."

Shaking his head, he said, "So, you make it your mission to help all troubled teens?"

Emma's eyes sparkled. "I do."

*****
When Emma returned to the dining area, Leslie walked up. "Chief Carter told me to give you this."

"Thank you." Emma unfolded the note and read, Sorry, I needed to get back to work. I'm glad you're helping Lizzy. I'll see you tonight. Love, Seth She whispered, "I love you."

*****
Back in Seth's office, Jake sat behind Seth's desk. "Are you going to propose to Emma?"

"You're sitting at my desk." Seth paused. "I'd like to have some idea how she feels about me. Maybe she doesn't want to marry me."

"She loves you and she'll say yes."

"How do you know? You're still at my desk."

"I like your chair. It's comfortable. I've known Emma for years. I can read her like a book."

Seth set his jaw. "You're not helping. You're being a pain in the ...."

"Careful, remember, I'm sort of your supervisor," interrupted Jake grinning.

"My supervisor wouldn't stick his nose in my private affairs."

"Maybe not, but your best friend would."

"If I need your help, I'll ask. Want to go for a run?"

"A run sounds good. I want you two to be happy."

"We already are."

*****
After dinner, Emma played her guitar on the dog porch. Jax and Molly relaxed next to her listening to the music. She turned her head when she heard a knock on the front door. "I bet's it's Seth. He said something came up and he'd be by after dinner."

As she opened the door, her smile lit the doorway. "My two favorite people."

Seth hugged Emma and kissed her cheek. "I'm glad you had the door locked."

With a sigh, she said, "I've learned my lesson."

"Sorry, I didn't come by earlier, but we finally got enough evidence we were able to arrest the science teacher allegedly making and selling meth." Seth hesitated. "I can't say anymore."

"I understand and I'm happy you've made an arrest." Emma watched Seth lift Molly. "I think she misses you when you're not around. I'm sure she missed Ace."

To limit the face licks, he held her higher. "I miss her. How's she getting along with Jax?"

"Really good, but I think her heart still belongs to Ace."

"Of course, it does, Ace will always be her first love." Seth set Molly on the floor and knelt to Jax's level and petted him. "Boy, how you doing?"

Emma joined him. "I think he's adjusting well." Jax placed his paw on her knee.

"It'll take time. He's had the same training as Ace. It's hard for a dog to watch their handler die. He may never completely recover, but I'm sure he'll make you a great dog."

Hugging Jax, Emma said, "He already has."

Seth stood and pointed to her guitar. "I heard you playing. I'm still amazed with how well you play."

She sat on the couch and patted a spot for him to sit. "There really hasn't been a chance before, but I've wanted to ask." She paused a moment to pet Ace. "I didn't know you played. Why didn't you tell me?"

He sat beside her. "I used to play a lot. Someone mentioned I'm not any good and shouldn't waste my time. I quit."

"Why'd you help me during Daddy's funeral?"

"You were struggling." Seth's eyes met hers. "I knew the song and would do anything for you."

"I'm guessing it was Jillian who said you weren't any good." She handed him her guitar. "From what I heard, you're good. She was wrong."

Accepting it, Seth said, "It was her." He played a few riffs before he set it down. "I might take it up again. Like you, I used it for stress release."

"I hope you play again."

Seth grinned. "I can see it in my future." He hesitated. "Did I overhear Lizzy say she's keeping the baby?"

"You did, but it's early. I'm sure she'll change her mind numerous times before her due date."

"You're probably right. Is the dad still out of the picture?"

"He is. That's probably a good thing." Emma paused. "I wonder if Lizzy could take over my summer reading program. I feel bad the kids have missed so many story times. I could train her. I'll ask tomorrow."

"Sounds good." Seth scanned the area.

"You look like something's on your mind." Emma paused.

Seth avoided eye contact. "Your eyes light up when you see me, so you seem to enjoy my company. You melt into my chest, which shows you trust me. All of this says you care. Am I reading the signs wrong? You've never said the words. I'm confused?"

Almost whispering, Emma asked, "Are you asking how I feel about you?"

"I guess I am. I told you I love you, but you didn't respond."

She released a deep breath. "I kissed you."

Seth grinned. "That you did."

Emma studied her hands in her lap. "I've whispered it."

"I see." Seth waited before he added, "Is there a reason you can't say it?" When Emma stood, walked to the window, and stared out, he followed and took her in his arms. "Sorry, I've made you uncomfortable."

With moisture in her eyes, she looked up at him. "We've promised we'd talk things out, didn't we?"

"We did."

She went back to the couch. Seth sat beside her.

After a lengthy silence, Emma began, "I've always believed if we pray, God will provide. When I graduated and was offered five teaching jobs, I prayed and didn't have a good feeling so turned them down. I hadn't given up on teaching and believed God would provide the job He wanted me to have and at the right time. He showed me what I'm supposed to do. I'm following His lead. I'll be teaching fifth grade English and Social Studies while working on my master's degree in social working. God's purpose for me is to work with teens. I'm positive."

"I understand and support you."

"You've been very supportive. Thank you." Seth nodded and then Emma continued, "For a few years I've prayed for this wonderful Christian man to come into my life."

Seth's jaw set and his eyes lost their luster. "And I don't measure up."

Emma put her arms around his neck and squeezed. "You're wrong. It's the complete opposite. I'm not good enough for you. You're more special than I ever imagined. I'm afraid there's someone else you're meant to be with."

Seth backed slightly from the hug and shook his head. "Emma?" His kiss lingered. "Am I hearing you do love me but were afraid I'd leave?" When she nodded, he kissed her again. "You're wrong. You're the only woman for me. I was afraid you didn't love me."

"I do and have for a long time." Emma exhaled. "Seth, I love you."

"And I love you." Another kiss lingered, before Seth said, "Thank you for clearing it up."

"I'm sorry for the confusion." Her eyes met his. "Maybe this is why we should talk things out."

Seth kissed her cheek. "You're right." He took Emma in his arms. "Tomorrow will be two weeks since your dad died. I haven't asked lately. How are you doing?"

Emma leaned against his chest. "Mostly all right."

"You're smiling again and your eyes light up."

"True and I laugh." She hesitated a few moments. "Sometimes for no reason, I get sad and tears form. I really don't cry, but..."

"It's probably going to happen for a while."

Turning enough, Emma melted into Seth's chest, and he held her.

This continued in silence until Molly barked. Emma leaned back. "I think Molly says she's ready for her last time out before bed."

"It's getting late. Ace and I need to be going." Seth stood and opened the front door. "Boys, take the lady for her walk."

Emma walked to him and kissed him. The kisses continued until Molly returned.

Seth sighed. "Good night. I'll drop by the bakery in the morning. If you need anything, I'm only a phone call away. Love you."

"Love you, too."


Thank you YouTube for 'Night Fever - BeeGees Line Dance'




~~~~~
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Winters - the bakery/bookstore Emma's parents own.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Sheriff Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager

Ronald Calhoun - dated Emma her senior year of high school

Elizabeth Higgins - 'Lizzy' pregnant teenage girl

Calvin and Gretchen Higgins - Parents of Elizabeth Higgins



Recognized

#9
March
2024


Thank you, Google Images, for the photo of a couple kissing goodnight at the door.

Chapter 36 is posted in its entirety and is a little over 2200 words.

Next week I should post the final chapter. I'll be at my son's house for most of spring break. He's a teacher and next Sunday is his birthday. Yes, Steven was born on St. Patrick's Day.

I appreciate the time you took to read this post. I appreciate the help editing. Thank you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.