Humor Non-Fiction posted January 18, 2024 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
broken dreams

A chapter in the book The Saga of Procrastination

What I am not

by Iza Deleanu


   When I was little, I wanted to be a flight attendant. In my mind, I was going to travel and see the world. When I started flying, I realized that I would've hated it. I am short so that I would've been no help with the "overhead bin" which in translation was way above my head complimentary service. What is a flight attendant? Well, it is that unpaid and untipped server. "What can I get you? Would you like tea or coffee?" you already know the drill. And the only travelling you get is from your airport to the hotel and back.

   I am not a teacher, even if officially I have a diploma to prove it. Another dream of mine was to be a teacher, but I only liked literature, so after graduation, I jumped at the chance to be a librarian. This profession brought me closer to what I like to do: write funny (at least in my mind) and unconventional stories and travel worldwide with my imagination. I did this profession for ten years, then moved to Canada and started all over.

  In Canada I got an official designation as a library technician backed up by different certificates in records management, human resources, and privacy. Am I doing what I like? Yup, sometimes, but not as a librarian. I choose the records field more boring, but very "rewarding" For me with my crazy life style, the "money" is everything goes because I need them for my trips.

 What would I want to be and do? Well, I want to be a guide. You know that guy that talks to crowds about dull ruins. Should I wait until retirement to do it? Hell, no! I had a dream and came so close to making it happen. You see, in 2013, I was in Cuba, and on the 31 of December, I decided to take a trip to Cayo Largo and wonder of the worlds, the bus was full of Russians, so the guide spoke only Spanish and Russian. I told him I didn't have any need of translation since I understood both and could do the English part for a group of tourists from Norway and Belgium. You know help a fellow guide in need kind of thing!


 Moreover, once on the island, after a glass of mojito, I become "fluid" in ... French! So, I started to translate whatever the Cuban guide was saying in French. Needless to say, at the end of the trip, I got tips from the groups not speaking Spanish or Russian,  and also got a job offer as a guide. Damn it, I should've taken it. Now, I could've been eleven years in the job, and I also I could've got enough information to start my own traveling /writing career. In conclusion, I am sticking around for a few more years during this boring records job (for some), but I will keep my eyes open for a chance to start a travelling/writing careers. I hate influencers, but what if I become one in the travelling world?
 




Share Your Story contest entry


This story was inspired by a comment made by RicMyworld, thank you:)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.