Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 23, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Offering loving care

A circle of friends

by Wendy G


When we arrive at the start of the day for one of our Therapy Dog programs, Sunny’s greatest joy is to greet all the other dogs. Next, he greets each of the owners.

After we enter the venue, he looks around to see which client he will sit with first, who might need encouragement or a little bit of “doggy love”. We all look out for each other’s dogs during the program ensuring the dogs are comfortable and relaxed, and not nervous with the other dogs or anxious at being touched too much by strangers.

Evie is a new dog in the Therapy Dogs program – she’s a little deer-face Jack Russell terrier. This has been a big year for tiny Evie.

Evie lived in the country on a large property with other dogs, and one day she was attacked for no known reason by a much larger dog and was viciously thrown around. She was very badly injured and needed major surgery to save her life.

One of the women in our therapy dog program heard Evie’s story and offered to adopt her, to be a companion to her other Jack Russell, Minnie. The two little dogs could pass for sisters.

Evie has adapted beautifully to her new home and family and relates well to Minnie. They cuddle together at night and share the love of their “parents”. Evie’s fur has grown and hides the scars, but some are still sensitive and painful when touched.

Her personality, like that of Minnie, is very placid and gentle, and her owner decided that she too would make a wonderful therapy dog. She was accepted into the program and has now passed the assessments.

Yesterday the therapy dogs were visiting the day program for the mildly disabled young people. This was Evie’s third session. Not yet knowing the other dogs well, she was occasionally a little nervous if they approached too closely, and drew back shyly. That was the only sign of the significant trauma she had endured just a few months ago. We would quickly move our dogs away to give Evie the emotional space and security she needed.

All was going well, until her owner, Robyn, picked her up to place her beside one of the young people. Robyn must have inadvertently touched a painful area because Evie let out a short sharp yelp of distress. Her owner immediately comforted her and stroked her.

What amazed and moved me was that all the other dogs immediately jumped up and hurried across the room to Evie and Robyn, all their beautiful faces looking anxiously towards Evie, checking that she was okay. Not crowding her, but just standing back, checking, expressing their concern and care.

Margo, the beautiful blond Labrador, Evie’s “sister” Minnie, Luna the Border Collie, and Sunny – all shapes and sizes – all of them instantly went to the aid of their new little friend, now sitting calmly on Robyn’s knee. Only after reassurances to the circle of dogs that Evie was fine did they return to their clients.

I think next time Evie will not be shy or afraid – she knows the other dogs have all accepted her and will look after her and protect her.

Had they already sensed that she had been the victim of some traumatic experiences? Do they count themselves as an ever-widening circle of best friends, all looking after each other?

The care, understanding and intuitive wisdom of these dogs is extraordinary, and very beautiful to witness each Wednesday, for their clients, yes, but also for each other.




Recognized

#26
November
2023


The image does not show the "deer face" sub-breed so well. They do indeed have the look of a gentle deer, and invite a response of trust in return.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.