War and History Poetry posted October 8, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Driven by greed.

Ukraine War

by Debbie D'Arcy

 
He tried in vain for puppet reign
to stir the pot and plant the seed
of strife, intent for selfish gain -
this war was waged because of greed.
 
And then with force he fuelled his fight
but failed with arrogance to read
that folk, aggrieved, repel with might -
this war was waged because of greed.
 
For though he yearned to claim this state,
('twas written large within his creed),
its history revised its fate -
this war was waged because of greed.
 
His aim to seize, perhaps in days,
would redefine, avenge at speed;
his power and strength would shock and faze -
this war was waged because of greed.
 
But best laid plans will tend to stray
and should have taken greater heed
for good 'gainst evil would relay -
this war was waged because of greed.
 
And still this murd'rous fight goes on
while Ukraine's heart will burn and bleed
until the treasured gem is gone -
this war was waged because of greed.



No Rules Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized

#6
October
2023


Isn't it time we stopped dignifying this euphemism of 'war' and call it out for what it really is? An invasion of a sovereign country with a licence to commit mass murder, infanticide, rape, violence, torture, pillage etc., all in the interests of satisfying a greedy and selfish lust for power, land, status and legacy whilst destabilising the rest of the world. Yes, there may be countless motives attributed to it in this case: geopolitical (international political relations influenced by geographical factors), revenge, malice, insecurity, insanity etc). But, in my view, the root cause here is an insatiable, autocratic, acquisitive addiction to greed.

Ukraine is in Eastern Europe and shares a border with Russia. It used to be part of the Soviet Union but became an independent country in 1991. Putin has long bitterly resented this, believing that they are one people and should be reunited as such. His ambitions go beyond preventing a Ukrainian NATO membership and encompass a more thorough aspiration to dominate Ukraine politically, militarily and economically. He wants to be the person to pull Ukraine back into Russia's orbit under his watch which could then assure his presidency up to 2036.

Stanza 1 - His success in the annexation of Crimea and intervention in Donbas in 2014, has encouraged him in his ambition to take control over the whole country. He sees the current democratically elected leadership as illegitimate and has tried without success to install a pro-Russian puppet leader.

Stanza 2 & 3 - He failed to read the Ukrainian strong sense of identity and believed that, at least in the eastern part of the country, the people would willingly accept reintegration into a Russian sphere of influence. His calculations were proved dramatically wrong.

Stanza 4 - When he sent up to 200,000 soldiers into Ukraine on 24 February 2022 at the start of the war, he wrongly assumed he could sweep into the capital Kyiv in a matter of days and depose the government.

Stanza 5 - What he failed to comprehend was that the people of Ukraine, despite ties with people in Russia, loved and honoured their country and would resist to the hilt this illegal invasion. They would also get the full backing of the Western World, appreciative of the fact that Putin's avaricious ambitions would never stop at Ukraine and a third World War could therefore be threatened.

Stanza 6 - He has previously referred to Ukraine as "the crown jewel of Russia," steeped in an historic era which he yearns, not least for its architectural and artefactual majesty and significance. Yet he razes it to the ground. While Ukraine continues to suffer from this horrifically destructive war, Putin's insatiable ambitions show no sign of abating.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debbie D'Arcy All rights reserved.
Debbie D'Arcy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.