General Non-Fiction posted September 11, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Prices are outrageous, lets do something

Why are we allowing it

by John Alvin1

WHY ARE WE ALLOWING IT

We all need food, water, utilities, homes or apartments, cars, health care, entertainment, sporting events, concerts, and money to live and enjoy our lives how we want. The money most people earn is not enough to live a good life because everything is too expensive now. Corporations are taking advantage of us. They will continue to raise prices repeatedly if we are willing to pay their asking price for products and things we need daily.

What can be done to fight back and lower prices? We would all have to make temporary daily sacrifices. We should never be like sheep following each other going over a cliff or be donkeys chasing a carrot and pay whatever the corporations ask for a product without questioning whether it is a fair price. If you think the product is too expensive, wait. Go elsewhere where it is cheaper.

Suppose everyone was united and posted on social media as a group of concerned consumers, all restaurants or grocery stores with lower prices in your area. For example, the name and location of a restaurant or store with lower prices would be posted for all to see. With everyone's effort to only go there to eat or purchase food as much as possible, this would cause other restaurants or stores to follow and lower their prices to keep customers. Eventually, price wars would occur to lure customers to their high-priced restaurants or stores, and prices would drop.

Another rip-off of people is that big pharma does not want to find cures for sickness or disease. They want us to depend on their medications for a lifetime, which means more sales and more profit for them. For example, if they found a cure for cancer, billions of dollars would be lost, and many jobs would no longer be needed. They care more about profit than the well-being of the human race. Does a cure for cancer exist and is hidden away and kept secret from the public? It is very possible. We must share news of disease cures or breakthroughs before they are hidden and kept secret.

Why does an oil change for your automobile that used to cost nineteen ninety-nine now cost over a hundred dollars? Because we are willing to pay that price. You could do it yourself, but not everybody can. Businesses that can change your oil for cheaper should get your business. We all need to know where they are, and these places must be posted. 

We were told that paying for cable TV would be commercial-free for those old enough to remember, so that's why we had to pay for it. That, however, was a scam. Now we have cable TV, we pay a lot for the service, and it is full of commercials.

 Corporations want to make incredible profits by overcharging the working class and keeping us poor. We can all make a difference by uniting together to fight over pricing. They said mass production would make things cheaper to manufacture and cost less to buy. But is it cheaper, or are the prices kept high to earn outrageous profits?

Even the Los Vegas casinos are ripping us off with resort fees, giving a low price as an excellent deal for the room and then adding the resort fee and taxes. It's not a good deal but a bait-and-switch scam. Hidden charges on restaurant receipts go unnoticed unless you check your receipt very carefully. Now, the casinos are even charging for parking. You must be fortunate to win something with a fifty or sixty-cent slot bet. Now, you have to bet a dollar fifty or more to increase your chances of winning. There are no free drinks in Indian casinos, which are not cheap either. The affordable buffets are outrageous now, some as much as forty dollars or more. How can anyone afford these extra charges? especially those on fixed incomes?

There are so many overpriced things, but we all continue to pay the asking price. Some we can do without, and some we can't. How can we fight back? It is all in our hands. Please stop and think, do I need it? Can I find it cheaper elsewhere? Support places of business that keep their prices low and let us keep them going strong.

Written by Alvin Rivera



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Alvin1 All rights reserved.
John Alvin1 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.