Letters and Diary Flash Fiction posted August 26, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Dream of ...

The Night I Died

by Tom Horonzy


 
Feeling no stress, I undressed and slipped beneath silken sheets, to rest my head on my bed never thinking of expiring. but I did unknowingly, for while I was deep in sleep counting sheep, perhaps, I couldn't tell for I was beneath a death spell.
 
I felt a tug upon my gown and frowned, unwanting to leave until I saw a glow, I didn't know beckoning me to come this way.  I hovered for a moment before I began to drift away unknowing where I was going which would make some upset, but without cause, for I felt no threat, subliminally, thus, I went along unconsciously until I heard a song that awakened me fully.
 
That is when I decided to enjoy the ride after hearing the words  "Come, with me abide." So, I continued on, as if I had a say in the matter, similar to when an ump tolled "Strike three" when I was a batter. It was apparent I didn't have a say in either decision; there or here. Wherever I happened to be.
 
Approaching a pearly gate I began to slow and hesitate til I saw Peter, supposedly guarding the gate, fast asleep. I wouldn't want to face his fate for letting me pass through without I.D. It seemingly bothered no one. There came no sirens or alarms, maybe because I wasn't armed. I mean, who is donning pajamas?
 
Inside, the road was paved in gold. No one I saw was either young or old, nor oscillating to and fro' from infirmities, as all were steadfast and resolute.
 
The aches I went to bed with were gone. My crow's feet and slack jaw were taut. My spine grew tall, my middle small,and I was no longer mentally deficient.
 
I could've gotten used to being like that save for the fact, that my wife poked me awake telling me to stop talking in my sleep because between my chatter and a dream she had awoken her to screams of people seen suffering in an ocean of sulfur and brimstone.
 



Recognized


The photo is my own. Selected from my own portfolio of Nevertheless Acres, where we live, on a quiet night, where crickets chirped, while lightning bugs flashed. It would be nice if this dream became true, otherwise I won't be getting past Peter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tom Horonzy All rights reserved.
Tom Horonzy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.