General Fiction posted August 25, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
As always ...

You win

by Wendy G


Family Meeting

Present: Mama and Sunny. Pa sits nearby, busy at his computer.

Sunny: Thank you for calling this meeting, Mama. We don’t have formal meetings very often, but I am happy to share with you some of my thoughts.

Mama: Thank you, Sunny. I have made an agenda. The first item is “Food”. Are you happy with what you receive?

Sunny: Yes, thank you. I love my entrée of whisked egg and milk each evening. I enjoy having the sardines or tuna one day a week. My doggy meat is okay, but I do prefer the scraps from your table. When you cook a delicious piece of pork, chicken, steak, or sausage or bacon, I find it hard not to resort to begging, which is a bit undignified.

Mama: You always seem to make me feel guilty! You manage to get little bits from me, and yet you’ve already had a full dinner. Now, what about your kibble? You always leave it till last.

Sunny: It’s not very tasty or interesting, Mama, to be honest.

Mama: It’s good for you. You have a small breakfast as well – doggie meatballs and kibble. And for lunch a square of cheese and a treat. Is that satisfactory?

Sunny: Thank you, Mama. Yes, I eat well. I have no complaints.

Mama: The other situation is about you taking a meatball into the living room, or even my bedroom. Why is that? Why don’t you eat it in the kitchen on your placemat, like before?

Sunny: I was just taking them to where you were. I just wanted to be with you ....

Mama: Thank you, I’m honoured. Now, don’t cry. No need to get upset. Okay, we’ll deal with that next meeting. The second item on the agenda is exercise. I realise you have put on some weight. You do tend to stop frequently when we walk, and every few metres you seem to spend some time sniffing. We are not getting much exercise – and that won’t help your weight. Nor mine, for that matter. I could lose a couple of kilograms.

Sunny: Mama, my sense of smell is about 40,000 times as good as yours. You have no idea of the vibrance, the deliciousness, the …. In short, Mama, you don’t know what you are missing! I am doing you a favour so that you will slow down enough to appreciate the scents of life all around us. The other thing is that my legs are so short I have to take about ten steps for every one of yours. If we walk fast, my little legs get tired.

Mama: But on the other hand, when we walk through the parks you love to run – and your little legs go so fast that I can’t keep up with you. You drag me along!

Sunny: That’s to make up for going slow the rest of the time. It’s wonderful to run barefoot through the grass ... you should try it, Mama.

 Mama: Dear Sunny, you know I have problems with my feet. They are sometimes quite painful.

Sunny: I am sorry, Mama. Perhaps we just need to get the balance better between observation of the beauties and splendour of nature (slow walking) and the exhilaration of speed (running). Perhaps the first half of our walk should be called “Outing” and the second half “Exercise” or the other way around. Not just “Fast Walking” the whole time. We need to change your expectations.

Mama: I see. Change MY expectations! Let's move on. The third item is your bedtime routine. We bought the doggy door so you could go out and come in by yourself at any time of the day or night. Why must I always accompany you outside last thing at night, and also first thing in the morning?

Sunny: Well, last thing at night is so I get a treat for doing a … (you know). You gave me a treat when I did that the first night you adopted me, and I thought that was such a lovely and kind thing to do. I never forgot your desire to make me happy, so I settled on that for a routine to be established. And of course, I just want you to be with me, always and forever. And in the morning? Well, the new day has begun, and I am just so excited to share all my time with you. I thought, yes, I hoped that you felt the same way about being with me.

Mama: Hmm. Well, I think that that covers everything. Somehow, I get the impression that nothing will change.

Sunny: Oh Mama, I do hope nothing will change. You have learned so quickly about all my needs and desires. Teaching you took no time at all – you’re a very quick learner. I’m proud of you.

Mama: I declare the meeting closed.




Recognized

#24
August
2023

Club entry for the "Family meeting" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.