Romance Fiction posted August 20, 2023 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seth and Emma continue to get closer.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Chapter 16 C

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 16 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I thought some chicken broth might taste good. You can have just a cup of broth or noodles with a few veggies with it if you'd like. I also brought some crackers." He turned his head when the timer went off. "It's ready."

Emma attempted to get up. "Maybe some chicken broth would taste good. I think I'll change into something more comfortable."

"I'll help you get off the couch." He put an arm around her back and slipped his hand under her arm. He held her other arm and lifted. "I don't know another way to help."

"Neither do I." After she stood, she said, "Thank you." She walked gingerly toward her bedroom.

"If you need help, let me know."

"I won't."

Seth shook his head and grinned. "Of course."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 16 C

When Emma crept back through her bedroom doorway to the living room, Seth went to help. He glanced toward her bed and saw her blue nightshirt. "I appreciate the wardrobe adjustment."

She turned her head as much as was possible. "I don't want..."

"You'd never intentionally..." interrupted Seth, then quieted as he helped her sit on the couch. When she was comfortable, he asked, "Would you like broth only or with noodles and veggies?" Emma indicated just broth, and Seth fixed her a cup. "If you want more or are ready to try it with the works, let me know."

After taking a sip she said, "This is good. Where did you learn to cook?"

"I've been on my own for nine years. At first, I ate out every night. That got old, and then I bought prepared meals. It didn't last long. Out of necessity, I learned to cook. I like to eat. For Christmas my sister gave me the Insta-pot. Over Easter, she taught me to use it. It has an air fryer attachment, but I haven't tried it."

"Maybe we can figure it out together. We did a good job with the salmon sandwich."

He grinned. "True."

Emma's eyes closed with pain as she reached for the phone in her sweatpants' pocket. "I need to call the taxi service and see about getting a ride to work tomorrow."

"The doctor said you need to remain home tomorrow. The earliest you can go back is Tuesday."

"I still need to talk with them for Tuesday."

"I've come up with an idea. Would you like to hear it?" When Emma indicated she would, Seth continued, "I leave for work around six. You go about seven. What if we compromise and go together at six-thirty?"

"You'll be thirty minutes late."

He shook his head. "My official day doesn't begin until seven. I like to go in early and get my day ready."

"You sure it won't be an inconvenience?" He indicated it wouldn't, so she asked, "Any thoughts about me getting back home."

"I do. You usually leave around six and I try to leave about that time. You can ride with me. Once in a while, I run later, when that happens, I'll have Carl or someone else bring you home. If everybody's busy, maybe Pastor Pat. I doubt that will happen. It should only be a few weeks before you have your own transportation. Sound agreeable?"

"It does. Thank you."

Seth glanced out the window and noticed the sun lower in the sky. "It's almost time for dinner. I'll fix myself a ham sandwich. Your mom added some Swiss cheese. Do you want one or something else?"

"You don't need to wait on me. I can do it myself. There's some bakery bread in the top cupboard left of the stove."

Emma attempted to get up but struggled. "I don't need anything."

"Just tell me what you want. I'm here to help."

"I don't do this well."

"You don't."

"I want to succeed on my own."

"I understand, but you're surrounded by people who love you. At some point everybody needs help." He paused. "I didn't like admitting it, but I needed your help with the sunburn."

"You handled it better than I am."

"Not really." He walked into the kitchen. "What can I get you?"

"Chicken broth with noodles and veggies."

"Crackers?"

"Maybe some bakery bread."

After they ate and Seth cleaned the kitchen, he sat beside Emma. "How about watching TV?"

"Good idea. I don't think I'm up for a scary movie."

"I'm sure you're not," he teased. "Do you like baseball? I think the Astros are on."

"Often Dad and I watch the game together, so yes."

They watched a while before Seth noticed Emma struggle to stay awake. "It's almost time for your next pill. Ready?"

"I guess."

Seth got the medication and a glass of water. "Would you like something to eat?"

Emma attempted to get up. "Grr. I hate being so sore I can't move."

"What do you want? I'll get it."

"A small bowl of au gratin potatoes."

He offered her the pill and the water. "How much is a small amount?"

She took the pill and then watched him spoon it into a bowl, until she said enough.

Removing it from the microwave, Seth asked, "You sure this is enough? I happen to know you're one of the few women who have a healthy appetite."

"I'm sure. My stomach's doing flip flops." Emma ate slowly and in small bites.

Seth took her empty bowl to the kitchen. "Want me to help you to your room? I'm pretty sure you're going to be asleep shortly."

"No. I'll watch the game with you."

She slowly fell asleep sitting up.

When her head rested against his arm, he slightly moved her and put his arm around her. She'll be more comfortable like this.

As the game ended, he rested her on the couch, turned her bed down, and carried her to bed, "Goodnight, I'll see you in the morning." and covered her up.

Seth got the sleeping bag he'd stored in the garage, moved a few chairs, and slept on the floor. This way there was no argument.



*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school and is the assistant librarian, she's making a play for Seth

Linda Holton - the town librarian

Mayor Castle - mayor of Beaverton

George Elliot - city council member, from old money, and father of Marc Elliot

Marc Elliot - troubled teenager




Recognized

#12
August
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for image of chicken noodle soup. I really couldn't find anything better to represent this post.


This is part 3 of Chapter 16. This post is a little under 900 words.

I made changes as I posted. II hope I don't need to correct those corrections. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.