General Poetry posted June 1, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Essential role in the ecosystem

The Spider

by Debbie D'Arcy

5-7-5 Contest Winner 
spider's spinnerets -
spinning her silken thread with
artful intentions


Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 Poem! This is a poem with only three lines. The catch is there is a strict syllable count. The first line has 5 syllables, second 7, third 5 again. See an example and details in the announcement.

5-7-5
Contest Winner

Recognized


The spider is the most important predator of insects, thus controlling disease and a vital friend of gardeners and farmers.

It produces venom which dissolves its prey making it digestible.
Most toxins are not harmful to humans. In fact, they have the potential to replace opiates with their less addictive qualities.

The spider's food supply is captured through its web which is made of silk exuded by three pairs of spinnerets. The spider has leg hair designed, as many have poor eye-sight, to sense vibration when prey lands on the web. This is one reason the spider doesn't like areas with a lot of action or noise. The spider often sits waiting beside the web because it is generally not immune to the web's stickiness.

The spider is also an invaluable source of food to animals and birds, the latter being its top predator (bluebirds, wrens, sparrows, blackbirds, crows). And not just adult birds - the spider makes up 75% of food that great-tit parents bring back to their babies.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debbie D'Arcy All rights reserved.
Debbie D'Arcy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.