General Fiction posted May 30, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A dialogue only entry -flash fiction club

If Plants Could Talk

by jmdg1954



 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 

Weee dogie… it’s going to be a hot one today, huh, Aster. That sun feels mighty strong. I’ll probably grow an inch or two today, alone, yippee…

What are you yammering about, Coleus? You won’t grow much bigger then you already are being stuck in the pot. You gotta get in the ground, bro. In the ground is where it’s at, where it’s happening, dude. Your roots will wiggle and mingle around the soil, and your peduncle will get thick and strong. Ain’t I right there, Geri? … Geri? … Hey, Geranium, you with me, here?

Huh?… Oh. Yea. Sorry. I must’ve fallen asleep. The sunshine feels so warm on my petals and makes me happy. It reminds me of that song:    

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy 

When skies are gray

You'll never know, dear

How much I love you

Please don't take 

My sunshine away

Ugh. Please stop singing already. Your  screechy voice make my petals shiver. Aster no like it. 

Oh stop, let Geri sing. Her voice ain’t that bad. Welcome, Geri. Aster was just saying that we’ll grow better and stronger once we’re in the ground. You think that’s true? Oh, man if it is I hope it happens soon. Real soon. I get so excited this time of year. Springs my jam, chappy. You diggin’it, Zeigfried? 

Oh, us zinnias can wait our turn. We’re more mature than the rest of you cohorts. And don’t call me chappy! It’s Ziegfeld. Okay! Ziegfeld Von Zinnia.

Okay, don’t get your stamen all in a twist, Ziggy. Ha ha ha … Now I called you  Ziggy!

What about the rest of you plants? Vinney, you vinca boys have any thoughts? How’s about you,Mary? You marigold girls have any idea when we’re going to be planted? 

Well, yes. When us flat of marigolds was in the human guys car, I heard him say todays the day. It’s sunny and warm and he has time. So, yup, it’s happening!

Everybody look. Look. I see his shadow coming our way. 

Shhhh... You might scare him off.

Don’t shush us vincas, Tom Tomatillo. He can’t hear our chirps with his minuscule human ears. 

Hey, Deb. I’m going to plant the heirloom tomatoes first like we talked about.

Ha ha. Winner, winner chicken dinner! Pay up my flowering  amigos! Heather and the Heirlooms win again. Fourth year running…




Recognized


The photo is my deck and some of the flowers I intend to plant

Asters, geraniums, coleus, vincas, marigolds, tomatoes, impatiens, dahlias,

And me, the human shadow taking the photo.

Thank you, Helen for sponsoring this club. Your selections have been loads of fun.

Club entry for the "Talking Plants" event in "Flash Fiction/Nonfiction".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.