General Poetry posted May 25, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The oil rigs that dot the Southern California coastline.

Offshore Lights

by James Hamill

Night screams past
Driving up the coast
Oil rig lights



Nature 3-5-3 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a poem with a 3-5-3 syllable count on nature.


The First Milestone
This authors first post!
A Milestone Post


Thursday, May 25th, 2023
Last night I was driving north on Pacific Coast Highway. The day hadn't been great so I was driving to unwind. To the left of me was the great dark void that is the Pacific Ocean by night. However, all along the horizon were the lights of the offshore oil rigs. I don't know if it was comforting to see those lights in the darkness, especially when I think about what those lights represent. Maybe darkness would've been better.

(Also, from everything I've read, the word "oil" is technically one syllable as the "oi" sound is a vowel and the "l" is a consonant. The "l" though does add a weird flavor to the "oi" sound in a way that other consonants, like for example "n", don't. The sound "oin" as in "coin" is clearly one syllable, but "oil" kind of rides an odd in-between.)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. James Hamill All rights reserved.
James Hamill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.