General Fiction posted May 21, 2023 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seth suggests they use each other's first names.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 10 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Seth and Emma met 10 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Not at all. I was thinking about your back. There's no way you're going to make it all day without more aloe. Why don't you drop by in the morning, and I'll reapply it before work?"

"I don't want to be a problem."

Emma pointed to the backyard. "But you're building a dog porch, isn't that me being a problem?"

"It's not, but I see your point. I'll come by. How early is too early?"

"I'm an early riser. What time are you looking at?"

"Is six o'clock too early?"

"It's not."

As Ace herded Molly into the house, Seth said, "I'll see you then. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." Emma watched him walk to his house.

TODAY'S POST

Early Monday morning, Seth sipped coffee and stared out the window toward Emma's house. "Ace, we should see a light come on any minute." Just as he said it a living room light came on. "Let's go."

Emma was quick to answer the door. "I've started coffee. Would you like a cup?"

Seth wore a white T-shirt and carried his uniform shirt. "I've already had one and I have a thermos in the cruiser."

The supplies needed were laid on the counter. Seth sat and raised his T-shirt, so the bottom rested on his shoulders. "High enough?"

"I think so. How'd you sleep last night?"

"Pretty well. I didn't feel much pain until about four o'clock."

"I'm glad the aloe lasted that long. This should get you through until almost noon. If it starts bothering you, come to the bakery. I'll bring this stuff. I can apply it in Dad's office." As she applied the gel and put clean gauze on, she said, "I think you're good to go."

"Thank you." He slipped his arms through his shirt, buttoned it, and then glanced at the shirttail.

Emma pointed. "You're welcome to use my bathroom."

"Thank you."

"Now, who's thanking who all the time?" teased Emma.

From the bathroom he said, "Funny, really funny." When he opened the door, he said, "Thank you again. I need to get going. I'll be by the bakery later." He left.

*****
When Carl and Seth walked into the bakery, Emma carried two large coffees, two beignets and an apricot Danish to their table."

After she set down the food, Carl hugged her. "How'd you know we were on our way?"

"I saw you through the window." Her eyes met Seth's. "How's your back?"

Before Seth could answer, Carl teased, "So, digging all those holes did your back in. You're getting old."

Emma laughed. "No. He chose to work on the Lord's Day of rest and got sunburned."

Watching the tip of Seth's ears tinge pink Carl asked, "Emma, I'm surprised you didn't stop him?"

"I was at my parents for Sunday dinner. I didn't notice the problem until I got home."

Carl studied Seth. "You didn't use sunscreen?"

"I did but missed an area."

As Pastor Pat walked in, Emma said, "I'll be right back. I need to check my tables."

Soon she returned with Pastor Pat's usual order. After he hugged her, he said, "Just the two people I wanted to talk to." His eyes met Seth's.

Seth sipped coffee. "I'm sure you mean Carl and Emma."

"Nope. I think you'd be the perfect person to teach our Apostle's Creed class. It'll meet starting next Wednesday from six to seven o'clock. Its targeted audience is young adults."

"I'm positive I'm not the right person. Talking isn't my strong area."

Pastor Pat handed Seth a book. "I think you're the perfect person. Here's the book we're using. It's not exactly a teacher's manual, but it has a few hints." He then faced Emma. "Now for you, young lady. I want you to head our youth groups."

"Did I hear you correctly?" interrupted Emma. "Did you say, 'groups' as in plural?"

"I did. They'll also meet Wednesday evening. The junior highers will meet from six until seven o'clock and the high schoolers from seven to eight o'clock."

"How long do I have before you need an answer?"

Gulping the rest of his coffee, Pastor Pat said, "As long as it takes you to get me a refill."

Her smile illuminated the bakery. "This refill will take a while." She left.

Seth shook his head. "You might be waiting all day." He answered his ringing phone and then said, "I've got to go. Carl, are you coming or waiting to see how long it takes Ms. Winters to refill his cup?"

"As much as I'd like to wait, I'll come. Good luck, Pastor."

*****
When Seth came to the bakery/bookstore for lunch, Emma smiled and walked to the tall table where he stood. "How's your back? Do you need aloe?"

"If you have time."

"I'll check my tables and meet you in Dad's office." She walked away.

Within minutes, Emma shut the door to the office. "Chief Carter, you'll need to raise your shirt."

Seth sat in a chair and turned his back to her before he lifted his uniform shirt and T-shirt. "We met ten days ago. It's about time you call me Seth. Is it all right if I call you Emma?" When she didn't answer, he asked, "Is the shirt high enough?"

Emma adjusted it a little. "It is now." She removed the gauze. "If it keeps healing this fast, tomorrow should be a better day." Silence remained until she finished. "You're good to go. What do you want for lunch? I'll put in your order while you get back together."

"I think I'll switch it up a little. How about a Cuban?"

"It'll be right up." Emma left the room and closed the door.

*****
It wasn't long before Seth stood at his usual table and watched Emma tend to the other customers. Why didn't she answer about using first names? Why's she uncomfortable with it?

When a bell sounded, Emma brought Seth's lunch and coffee. "Sorry, I didn't think to bring the coffee sooner."

"Not a problem. I'm sure you have things on your mind. I don't see Pastor Pat. Did you accept both youth groups?"

"I did. I couldn't find a good excuse not to. It'll be fun. Wednesdays are going to be busy, working a full shift, my summer reading program, and now two youth groups."

He took a bite of his sandwich. "This is good."

"I'll tell Mom." Emma went to another table and refilled their coffee cups, before she returned to Seth's. "If you need more aloe, you know where to find me."

"I'll probably come by tonight."

Nodding, Emma said, "Sounds good."

Before Seth left the bakery/bookstore, he walked up to Emma. "I keep forgetting to ask. Do you have a final count for the kids attending the reading program? I'm worried about the sidewalk and safety."

"Not yet, they're still signing up. I should have it by tomorrow afternoon."

"As soon as you get it, let me know."

"I will." Emma watched him leave.


*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school, she's making a play for Seth



Recognized

#4
May
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of an apricot Danish and coffee.

Chapter 10 is split into two parts. This is part 1. Seth suggests they use first names, but Emma doesn't comment. I'm with Seth. I wonder why? Is everything moving too fast for her?

This post is a little under 1100 words long. Of course, as usual I made changes as I posted. I never can get it exactly right. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.