General Poetry posted May 16, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nature's precarious path - hanging in balance

Metamorphosis

by Debbie D'Arcy

nature's lottery -
triumphant emergence or
tragic ensnarement
 



5-7-5 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 Poem! This is a poem with only three lines. The catch is there is a strict syllable count. The first line has 5 syllables, second 7, third 5 again.

Recognized


Metamorphosis - " The biological process by which an animal physically develops including birth transformation or hatching, involving a conspicuous and relatively abrupt change in the animal's body structure..." (courtesy of Wikipedia)

I'm using this particular example of the butterfly/moth to represent the dangers that exist in nature which potentially impact on transformation and survival. Even after the insect hatches from its pupa or crysalis (a kind of vessel in which the caterpillar changes) it remains fragile and extremely vulnerable. It has to wait for its wings to dry and pumps a liquid called hemolymph into them to enlarge and strengthen them. If lucky, it then spreads its new beauty in search of flowers and others of its kind with which to mate. A typical lifespan is between two to four weeks. Its beauty therefore ephemeral; its task urgent and essential for its species' survival.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debbie D'Arcy All rights reserved.
Debbie D'Arcy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.