Romance Fiction posted May 14, 2023 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Seth sunburns a small area on his back.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 9

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After numerous times hiding her eyes against Seth's chest, the movie ended. Emma swallowed. "Thank you for putting up with me. I don't think I'll try another scary movie."

Seth grinned. "Probably a good idea. I'd better get home."

"Thank you, again."

Noticing the lack of twinkle in Emma's eyes as she scanned the room, Seth said, "I'll leave Ace. I think Molly could use a friend. Before church you can send him home."

"Molly would appreciate it."

"I thought she would." Seth walked over and closed the curtains. "I'll lock the back doors. Be sure to lock the front door. I'll see you at church."

As Seth left, he noticed the Crown Victoria parked on the road. He phoned his office and ordered a patrol to drive by.

TODAY'S POST

Chapter 9

At the end of Sunday's church service, Emma stood on the church lawn and waited for her parents as Seth walked up. "Ms. Winters, how'd you sleep last night?"

"Very well. Thank you for sharing Ace. Molly mentioned he was a huge help."

"I'm glad. When he came home, he jumped on my bed. He knows he's not allowed. You wouldn't know why he'd think the rules changed, would you?"

Studying her feet she said, "Molly sleeps with me..."

"So, Ace thought it would be okay?" interrupted Seth.

She avoided eye contact. "Maybe?"

Seth chuckled. "Thought so."

Ms. Sadie walked up and hugged Emma. "I've heard you two are seeing each other. Now I see with my own eyes you're together."

Emma held Ms. Sadie's hands in hers. "We're not together." She glanced at Seth and smiled. "We're friends."

Seth added. "That's right Ms. Sadie, friends."

Giggling, Ms. Sadie faced Emma and asked, "So the next time we're at the bakery, and I ask Chief Carter to dance, you won't be offended?"

"No, Ms. Sadie, I won't be offended. I'd enjoy watching."

Leaning over and pecking Ms. Sadie's cheek, Seth said, "I'd be honored to dance with you."

She rubbed her cheek and giggled. Her friend walked by, and Ms. Sadie said, "I'd better get going before my ride leaves without me." She winked at Seth. "Young man, I'm holding you to it."

He shook his head. "I'm sure you will." Watching Ms. Sadie walk away, Seth said, "She's a character. I bet when she was young, she was a force to be reckoned with."

"I'm sure you're right. She's eighty-eight and remains a bundle of energy."

Seth answered his ringing phone. After putting it away, he said, "Sorry, I need to take care of something," and left.

Pastor Pat walked up to Emma. "Since meeting you, Seth has come out of his shell."

"Really?"

"Yes, he's always been nice, but reserved or maybe shy. Not sure which. Keith describes it as stingy with his words. Now he talks and jokes. He never would've spoken with Ms. Sadie before. You're a good influence."

"I doubt I have anything to do with it."

Susan tapped her daughter's shoulder. "We're headed home."

Emma nodded. "I'm right behind you. First, I'll stop by my house and get Molly. While I'm there, I'll change. It won't take long. I'll be there in time to help with dinner."

*****
It was late Sunday afternoon when Emma pulled into her garage, let Molly out, and carried a box of leftovers into the house. When she realized Molly hadn't followed, she searched for her. "Molly? Where'd you go?"

Seth answered, "She's back here with Ace and me." As Emma opened the backdoor, he slipped his T-shirt over his head and cringed.

"What's wrong?" asked Emma.

"It feels like sunburn, but I used sunscreen." He picked up the bottle and showed her.

"Do you mind if I take a look?"

He turned. "I guess not."

Emma glanced at the backdoor. "Come inside and sit." Once he sat, she asked, "Can I push up your T-shirt so I can check the problem?" He nodded, so she did. "You have a nasty sunburn. I'm guessing you missed an area."

"That's impossible."

She hesitated and then almost whispered, "You're going to need to remove your shirt. I need to treat it. I'll use a cold towel and the shirt would get wet." When he turned and stared at her, she held up her phone. "I'll take a picture and show you."

Seth studied the photo and then exhaled. "I missed a spot."

"At least it's not a large area. I'll get the cold cloth. It'll relieve some of the heat." Emma grabbed a dishtowel from a drawer, ran cold water over it, and then wrung it out. "This should help. Can you hold it in place? I'll get some aloe. It's in the bathroom."

When Emma returned, she released a deep breath as she stared at Seth's bare back. He's handsome. I wonder why he's single. Probably because he's so bossy. I need to focus on the sunburn, not him.

As she got closer, Seth asked, "You all right?"

"I'm fine." Exhaling, she touched the damp towel. "It's warmed a little. Has it helped? I'll run cold water over it again."

He followed her to the sink. "A little." After watching her squeeze water from the towel, he asked, "Your eyes tell me you're uncomfortable. Is it because I'm not wearing a shirt?" When she avoided eye contact, he grabbed his T-shirt. "I'll leave."

Emma put her hand on his arm. "Don't." She paused, before she added, "This needs to be taken care of and you can't reach it." She scanned the room. "I'm the only person available. You won't be able to sleep and wearing a shirt tomorrow will be uncomfortable."

"Sounds like you've had experience."

"I have." Emma pointed to the chair. "Please sit." She placed the towel on the area." While you hold it, I'll warm up dinner. Mom sent leftovers again. I hope you like roast chicken." From the kitchen, she glanced at him. "You're missing the spot. I'll hold it." She came over and held the towel.

Again, Emma released a deep breath, Seth stood. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"You shouldn't be penalized because I've been sheltered. It's not your fault. I even went to a conservative, small Christian college."

Seth took both her hands in his and stared into her eyes. "Never apologize for who you are or for your values." He exhaled. "I've learned from experience." He swallowed. "It was a hard lesson and I'm not sharing anymore."

Both heads turned when they heard the buzzer. Emma ignored Seth's previous comments. "Dinner's ready. Once your back dries, I'll put on the aloe."

After the place settings and dinner were set out, she checked his back. "It should be dry enough." She broke some aloe leaves and spread around the gel.

"Do you have something to cover it?"

"Just a minute." Emma went into the bathroom and returned with gauze and medical tape. "When you get home, you might let it air. It'll heal faster in the open."

He slipped on his T-shirt. "Okay."

As they ate, Emma glanced at the backdoor. "I never saw what you completed today. After we eat, I'll do that."

"I built another frame. Next Saturday, we'll build one more and attach them to the posts. I'm sure the cement's dry. I divided the long one into two sections. Each one is a square, nine by nine. We'll use the center studs for support."

"Makes sense."

Seth took a bite. "This is good. I'm surprised your mom cooks on her day off."

"My parents grew up in large families where Sunday dinner was a time for immediate and extended family to get together. Everybody has either died or lives quite a distance away. I think they wanted to make sure I had that experience." Emma laughed. "I'm sure that's why Pastor Pat usually comes and sometimes Jake. For as long as I can remember they've counted as extended family. Do you have a large family?"

"No. My parents died about ten years ago and my grandparents about three years ago. I inherited this land. I have a younger sister who's married."

"I remember I didn't meet you when I moved in because you went to your nephew's Christening."

"They live in Austin."

"Do you see them often?"

"I don't get a lot of vacation time. I don't always need to be physically at work, but available."

"I understand." Emma glanced toward the back door. "Why don't we go out back? I'll do dishes later."

"I didn't clean up. I'll do that and then help with the dishes." Seth grinned. "I'm surprised you didn't comment on me working on Sunday."

"I know you went to church. I guess you weren't raised where Sunday was a day of rest. I can't force people to believe like my family and I do."

"True, but to be honest, doing things like this is resting for me. It's not work related and it takes my mind off things. Probably much like Sunday dinners are for your family."

"I hadn't thought of it that way."

After tools and dishes were taken care of, Seth said, "I need to get home. Ace, take Molly out."

While the dogs were outside, Emma studied Seth.

"Have I done something wrong?"

"Not at all. I was thinking about your back. There's no way you're going to make it all day without more aloe. Why don't you drop by in the morning, and I'll reapply it before work?"

"I don't want to be a problem."

Emma pointed to the backyard. "But you're building a dog porch, isn't that me being a problem?"

"It's not, but I see your point. I'll come by. How early is too early?"

"I'm an early riser. What time are you looking at?"

"Is six o'clock too early?"

"It's not."

As Ace herded Molly into the house, Seth said, "I'll see you then. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." Emma watched him walk to his house.

*****
When Seth arrived home, he called Carl, "That Crown Vic's parked on the road again. We need to figure out who's driving it. I should've already done this, but tomorrow have everyone ask around town and see if anybody knows anything."

After hanging up, Seth called Jake. "Have you had a chance to check hospital birth records? I'd sure like to know if Emma's natural mom or dad has anything to do with who's stalking her. Let me put you on speaker."

Jake said, "I've found two possibilities. They both gave birth to a little girl on May, fifteenth, 2001." One was fifteen and the other twenty years old. I have a lead on the first one, but so far nothing on the other. I'm hoping for more information tomorrow."

"Thank you, Jake. I owe you one."

"I figure you owe me more than one, but who's counting."

Chuckling Seth said, "You're probably right. Goodnight. We'll talk tomorrow."


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to every mother, grandmother, great-grand mother, stepmother, teacher, or any female who has children in your life. You are all moms!!


*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - Emma knew her in high school, she's making a play for Seth



Recognized

#5
May
2023


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a sunburned back. Seth's is only a small area.

Thank you for the well wishes and prayers for my husband's knee. He is healing. Not as fast as he thought he would or wants too, but healing.

Chapter 9 in its entirety. Many people may not understand Emma's innocents. She was completely protected and even the college she went to was old-fashioned. Yes, they still exist, rare, but they do. Her family is very old fashioned in their values and morality. Also, Seth and Emma are not on a first name bases at this point. It's their attempt to deny the budding relationship. Hint, it doesn't work. In a couple days, they will go to first names, but Emma is hesitant.

This post is a little under 1700 words long. Of course, as usual I made changes as I posted. I never can get it exactly right. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving reviews and your support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.