Sports Fiction posted April 27, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A baseball story of determination

Sam and Snow

by jmdg1954



 

Rebecca stood at the kitchen counter enjoying her second cup of cinnamon churro coffee. On the griddle she had French toast made from Challah bread dipped in an egg nog batter, and applewood bacon sizzling in the oven. A blend of maple syrup with a few tabs of butter and cinnamon sugar was warming on the stove. Freshly cut strawberries sprinkled with coconut sugar were already on the table. 

“The breakfast of champions,” said her husband, Bill, inhaling all the aromas while giving her a hug. “Has Sam come down for breakfast?” he asked, looking at his watch. 

“MOM,” Sam yelled. “Where are my baseball socks? Coach says I can’t play if I don’t wear them.”

“Sam, did you look in your sock drawer? You know, where they should be.”

“No. Are you sure they’re there?”

Rebecca looked at her husband and grinned.  “You’re next.”

“DAD.”

“Yes, Sam.”

“Where are my cleats? I can’t find’em. I looked everywhere. Have you seen them?” 

Bill looked at Rebecca shaking his head.

“Dad! Cleats?”

“Sam, you took them off in the garage after practice yesterday. Remember? They were caked with mud.”

“I hope you’re right.” said Sam. “Can’t play without them.”

“If you don’t come down for breakfast a-sap, you’ll never be on time for the game, so it won’t matter.”

“Be there in a jif,” said Sam. “Still gotta find my glove.”

Moments later Sam and Snow, their four-year old golden retriever, came bouncing down the stairs. Snow trailing at first, bumped Sam out of the way and headed to the kitchen for breakfast. Wherever you find Sam, Snow was never far behind. They were inseparable.

Snow was Sam’s  “tweener”, a dog between the ages of a puppy and an older dog, which made Sam, Snows tweener, a child in middle school. 

Snow was very playful and required attention. So much attention that her previous owners, the Brannigan’s, a couple in their mid-seventies could no longer care for Snow the way they felt she needed to be. Between the walks, the brushing, the feeding, the vet visits and Snows sheer playfulness, it was all too much for them to handle. Sadly, Mr. & Mrs. Brannigan made an appointment to drop Snow off to the caring staff at the Bark ‘n Dog Rescue with the hope she would be adopted.

It turned out to be a fortunate day for Snow. That Saturday, Sam’s 6th grade class was scheduled to volunteer at the rescue. According to Sam, after Snow was dropped off and put in a cage, she looked sad and lonely. Sam kept a eye on Snow throughout the day, often times stopping by to smile at her and say hi to the puppy. 

During one of her many visits, Sam managed to open the cage and climb in with the tweener. Snow was so excited her tail wagged non stop. 

“Looks like you made a friend,” said Gail, one of the Bark’n Dog attendants.

“Yeah, I think she likes me, a lot.” Snow was licking Sam’s face. 

“Now about this cage door..." Gail said smiling.

By the time Bill and Rebecca came to pick up Sam, the bond was established. So after much begging and promising from Sam, Bill and Rebecca gave in to rescuing Snow.

“Only under one condition …”




Recognized


This is my first attempt to write a baseball story for middle school level, grades 6-7-8.

I am looking for honest critiques on content, storyline and grammar. Please review as I would make corrections to what is written and/or suggestions to better the story as I move along.

The next post will follow in 7-10 days.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.