Romance Fiction posted April 5, 2023 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Marjorie thinks of solution

A chapter in the book DARK NIGHT AND DARK DAY

Dark Night & Day, Chapter 8

by Alaskastory




Background
In winter Marjorie arrives in Alaska to escape getting married and begin new medical job. Meets handsome man, Roger, who introduces friends. She tells Julie about her previous fiancé who is gay.
Roger's arms gripped tightly around Marjorie and gently pulled her up from deep snow. Through shimmering eyes, he stared at her full smile. She paused in his embrace. He was inches from tempting lips. Then the puppy wiggled and stretched high enough to send a licking tongue to Roger's chin.

"Hey, that's an icy kiss, little guy," Roger groaned as a leather glove wiped saliva off his whiskered chin.

Marjorie twisted out of his arms, breathlessly saying, "This sweet little dog is a runaway. Leo is out searching too. He's hunting near the big dogs."

"Well, I'll let him know a beautiful angel rolled after the puppy and saved him." He stepped toward a darkening trail.

Marjorie called after him, "Roger, thanks for helping me."

Hurriedly, she got herself and puppy back into the house. Julie grabbed the naughty dog. "I'll lock him in, then we can drive out of here before Roger arrives."

"Oh, he's here already. I'll tell you about that when we're on the road."

"Hmm, Marj, that makes me doubt it's the puppy who gave that strawberry color to your cheeks."

"Julie! Let's get going."

By the time they climbed into Julie's car and the headlights were on, they could see Leo and Roger moving from the dog houses area. Both men gave them waves.

Marjorie quickly told how she had fallen down the same steep area as did the puppy. "As I rolled down, Roger's pickup lights blasted right onto me. Suddenly, there he was standing over me and shoving the pup into my arms. I tried to get up, but I was solidly sunk down in that bank."

"I'll bet Roger pulled you up. He's so strong!"

"Yes, he did."

"But surely, he didn't take advantage and keep you in a hug. I know he is a gentleman. Right?"

"Well, I guess it was longer than the puppy wanted. And me too."

Julie laughed.

A beep from Marjorie's phone made her hurriedly pull it from her purse. "A text message from my brother, James. He's coming to see me next weekend."

"Driving from Greely Airforce Base?"

"Yes, I want you and Leo to meet him. I'll be sure to take him to the ice sculptures. And we can go to the dog sled race."

Marjorie began to relax and started telling how James had convinced her to move to Alaska. "He agrees I stay for a full year and give all my attention to my new job."

"You mean with no social life at all?"

"Okay, Julie, I'll make sure you get a chance to ask him that."

When the car was stopped at the apartment, they exchanged hugs and made plans to get together the next weekend.

That evening Marjorie put in a call to her brother.

"There will be the Ice Sculpture Show and dog race for us," she said.

"Sounds great. Also, I'd like to meet your friends too. Who is that married couple?"

"Leo is a dog musher and Julie is an artist."

"How about that man you met first in the cab?"

"Roger Hendricks. He's the couple's good friend."

"Seeing him much?"

"A few times. He showed me how they get the huge hunks of ice for sculpturing."

"Well, does he live right there?"

"James, I'll make sure you meet my friends when you get here. Bye for now."

Her brother's habit of asking questions brought an instant memory of how he plunged into getting information from people. In minutes he could get a life story out of anyone. In a conversation with Roger, James could learn all what he has, does, thinks, plans. Her curiosity automatically would vanish with answers to all that. Thoughts of him would vanish. No way then would Roger attract her.

As Marjorie turned over in bed that night, there came a dream of strong arms wrapped around her.




CHARACTER LIST
Marjorie Lange, doctor with Native Corp, in AK to avoid past boyfriend
Roger Hendricks, engineer at oil pipeline job, helps with ice sculptures
James Lange, her brother in Airforce at Ft. Greeley
Leo Granger, Dogsled racer and keeper of 40 dogs
Julie Granger, Ice sculpture artist
Maryann Lange, her mother and retired teacher
Kenneth Lange, her father and military retiree
Henry Wilburn, an ex-fiance
Eddie Frank, a long-time friend
Hank, cab driver
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.