General Fiction posted April 5, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Contest entry

A Peck on the Cheek

by jmdg1954



 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Marie would give him a peck on his cheek. An unconditioned reflex. In essence , a grateful “thank you", for listening and being there as a friend. On other occasions when tears began to show, the simple peck became an embrace. The strength of his arms and comfort of his shoulder was just what she needed.

One time the embrace, turned to a kiss. Immediately they felt the passion, the warmth, and desire. Although their young, innocent lips were committed to someone else, their hearts belonged to each other. 

They met weekly at the empty elementary school where they were once co-workers. It was there they  became friends. The friendship continued to grow until they fell in love.

They would sit in his old homeroom, basked with afternoon sun and share stories of their children. Each hid a false interest, thinking what they once could have had.

Through the musty, staleness in the air, they slow danced to Etta James’s, "At Last”, or “Let’s Stay Together”, by Al Green. If they felt playful, they would disco to the Bee Gees in the hollow hallways.

Together they thumbed through gardening magazines, played gin rummy on the dusty desks and completed the New York Times crossword puzzles.

Outside, they would act like middle-schoolers and push each other on the rusty swings till their toes touched the clouds. On the teeter-totter his eyes would lock hers as her silky smooth hair rose and fell with each push. Laughter filled the playground.

Neither could tell their spouses about these trysts. Their bond was special, strong and deep. The relationship was too meaningful, neither wanting it to end.


 



Imagine the romance! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You must create two original fictional characters to be in love in this contest, as well as a fictional world for them to be in love in. For example: two vampires in love.

Recognized

#14
April
2023
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.