Romance Fiction posted March 26, 2023 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Emma gives a description of a man from college.

A chapter in the book Guided by Faith

Faith Chapter 5 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Depend on God in every part of your life, and He will guide, protect, and comfort you. Will God guide Emma's life? If He does, will she listen?
Previous Post:

A few moments passed as she thought. "No." Her eyes widened. "Wait. The last few months I noticed an older guy, maybe early thirties. He stood off to the side and watched. I noticed him a few times outside our apartment. Our junior and senior years the girls and I lived together off campus. I told Pastor Mike about him because he made my skin crawl. I know Pastor Mike approached him a few times."

"Do you have any way to contact Pastor Mike?"

"I don't, but Pastor Pat might. They went to seminary together. I think they've stayed in touch."

"Drop by the police station tomorrow afternoon and give us a description."

She took a drink of water. "Sure."

Seth stood. "I'm finished for now. I might have more questions later."

"Okay. As soon as I check the back door, I'm ready."

He glanced at his watch. "It's late. You like Italian? I'll order and pick it up. It's just around the corner."

"You don't need to."

"Do you like Italian?"

Emma exhaled and nodded.

He put his phone away. "It's done."

After Emma locked the front door, Seth said, "Walk with me. I told Ray and your dad I'd make sure you safely make it home."

*****
With the order in hand, Seth walked Emma to her car. "I'll follow and come to your place to eat."

Seth called Pastor Pat on the way.

*****
While Ace took Molly outside, Seth studied the back door and porch. "I wanted to discuss the dog porch, but it's late. Think we'll have time tomorrow after the fish fry?"

"I think so."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 5 A

Mid-afternoon, Wednesday Emma entered the city's police station. Peggy Barton, a former high school classmate, stood frowning next to the door. "What are you doing here? If you're here for Seth, he's busy so you need to turn yourself around and leave."

Emma tilted her head. "Peggy, it's nice to see you again. It's been a while, probably since high school graduation. I'm here because I have an appointment. I hope you have a nice rest of your day." She continued to the front desk. "Hello. Yesterday, I spoke with Chief Carter. He asked me to come in this afternoon and give a description of a man to somebody, but I'm not sure who I'm supposed to do that with. He didn't say."

Peggy remained at the door and watched.

Seth's office door opened. "Ms. Winters, I thought I heard your voice. Glad you're here."

Jake sauntered through the door, walked up to Emma, and hugged her. "Pumpkin, it's good to see you again. I didn't think it was possible, but you get prettier every day. I hope you don't mind but I'm helping Seth get a good sketch of this man. I just uploaded a new computer program."

Peggy called, "Seth, could I have a minute?"

He exhaled. "How can I help, Ms. Barton?"

"I was hoping you could come for dinner tonight."

He glanced toward his office. "I have plans."

"How about tomorrow night?"

Going into his office, he said, "I'm busy." He closed the door, before he sat.

"She's persistent," teased Jake.

"That she is."

"You need to talk with her."

"Let's get started. There's work that needs to get done." Seth hesitated. "Ms. Winters, what can you remember about this man, besides he's old, maybe in his early thirties?"

Jake chuckled. "Yeah, being in early thirties is pretty old."

Pink adorned Emma's cheeks. "Am I being teased?"

Jake chuckled. "You just called us both old. I'm thirty-nine, so I'm getting close to ancient. Seth, have you made thirty yet?"

He grinned. "I will in September." His eyes met Emma's. "I'm in my twenties for a few more months. Can I still be young?"

The pink in her cheeks continued to darken. "I think I'd better keep quiet."

Jake pointed to the computer screen and nodded, but addressed Emma, "You turned twenty-two, last month, right?"

"Yes." As both men shook their head, she continued, "There's a lot of head shaking when I'm around."

Seth stood and moved a chair closer to his. "Sit beside me. You'll need to see the screen. Jake's teaching me to use this program, and you'll help with facial attributes."

Jake continued, "We already know he's a male about thirty. How tall and about how much does he weigh?"

"I'm not good at that." She studied Seth and then Jake. "He's shorter than Chief Carter. Jake, how tall are you?"

"About five foot-eleven."

She closed her eyes. "I'd say closer to Jake's height."

"Seth's about six feet two inches, so let's say about six feet." Jake hesitated. "Weight? Seth's about two hundred pounds. I'm about one hundred seventy."

"Maybe about one hundred seventy-five."

Seth faced her. "You're doing good. How about body type?"

"Slim with some muscles. Nothing like yours."

Seth's eyes met Jake's and grinned. "Thank you."

"I didn't mean..."

"Yes, you did," interrupted Jake. "We both know Seth works out. He has to so he can help females from shelter roofs."

"He told you?"

Attempting to appear serious, Seth said, "Hair color and style. Also eye color."

"Short brown hair. I'm not sure about eye color, but they were steel like. They bored into me."

"How about shape of his face?" asked Jake.

"Definitely oval."

Seth added it to the computer diagram. "Anything stand out about his forehead, or eyebrows?"

"Nothing I can remember."

"Shape of nose and anything you can remember about the nostrils."

She closed her eyes. "Extremely long nose and narrow nostrils. His cheeks and face were narrow too."

"Thank you. That was my next question, and it fits with the oval face. How about ears and mouth?"

"Just normal ears. I don't remember anything about them. Mouth?" She took a breath. "It was crooked. The left side was narrower than the right."

Seth turned the computer screen more toward Emma. "Like this?" After she nodded, he said, "You're doing good. What about chin and neck?"

"His chin was oval. I don't remember anything about his neck."

He nodded. "How about complexion?"

"White but not white white."

Pointing to the computer screen, he asked, "Like this?"

Tilting her head, she pointed to another shade. "No, more like this."

"Facial hair?"

"Unshaven, but completely different than yours. Yours is more of a short stubble."

Jake grinned. "Please explain."

"This guy's had curly parts and bare patches." Emma glanced at the screen. "Yes, that's pretty close."

"Any visible tattoos?" When she shook her head, Seth continued, "Voice? Speech?"

"He didn't talk. All I ever heard was a low raspy whisper. Maybe Pastor Mike can help more in that area."

"How did he walk?"

"He just stood and stared. I don't think I ever saw him take a step."

Seth exhaled. "Okay. We'll let the computer do its thing and then see if we need to make adjustments."

Emma studied the composite sketch. "Something's not right." She stared at it. "It's his eyes. They're not right." Her glance switched from Seth to Jake. "Can I play with it a little?"

Seth moved aside. "Of course."

After Emma made a few changes, she said, "I think that's a good likeness. Can you talk with Pastor Mike and see what he thinks?"

"Pastor Pat called him this morning and he's coming for a visit tomorrow afternoon. I'll talk with him then."

A smile crossed Emma's lips. "Could I..."

"Yes, you'll be able to visit with him," interrupted Seth shaking his head. He glanced at his watch. "I think we're finished, for now. This evening I'll drop by my house to change, so why don't I pick you up, and go to your parents' together?"

Emma glanced toward the door. "It's fine with me, but I don't want to upset your..."

"I'm not dating anybody."

"I guess it's okay. Just so you know I'm bringing Molly, so Ace's welcome." She stood and walked toward the door.

Jake opened it for her and hugged her. "Glad I got to spend this afternoon with you. I'm sure I'll be around again before too long."

"Bye for now. Drop by the bakery before you leave. If they're not all gone, I'll put a peach Danish back for you."

Rubbing his stomach, he said, "Will do."

"Why don't I get the same treatment?" teased Seth.

"I don't know what your favorite pastry is." She left the room.



*****
Character List:

Police Chief Seth Carter - hero and Beaverton's Police Chief

Emma Winters - heroine and waitress at her parents' bakery and bookstore, but just graduated college with a teaching degree.

Carl Jones - Seth's good friend and right-hand man

Susan and Keith Winters - Emma's parents and owners of Winters' Family Bakery and Bookstore

Molly - Emma's almost four-pound Pomeranian

Ace - Seth's German shepherd, a trained K-9

Pastor Pat - Pastor of the Church and Emma's Godfather

Jake Baker - Seth's mentor and Winters' family friend

Ray Hudson - Works at the bakery

Peggy Barton - High School friend, wants a relationship with Seth

Pastor Mike - Emma's Pastor from college



Recognized

#9
March
2023


Thank you Google Images for the image of what the suspect may look like.

I posted more of the previous post than usual because I felt it was necessary to understand this post. In case someone didn't read the previous post.

This post is a little over 1100 words long and as usual I made changes as I posted. Chapter 5 is too long to post the entire thing at once so I broke it into two posts. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate all your kind reviews and support of my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.