General Fiction posted March 25, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
To claim a favorite color is like saying a favorite food.

In My World of Colors, Red Reps

by Reese Turner

Now, that’s a lot to ask; asking me to celebrate one color over the many which represent my life. For example, Pink. I fathered three daughters.  We had pink everything, everywhere.  Those were happy days.
 
How about Green? I’m more Irish than anything and have enjoyed golf n’ Guinness in Ireland. A Blue sky is always a great day, Burnt Orange is the color of my alma mater, Navy Blue is the color of the uniform I proudly wore long ago… 

Yet, after little internal debate, Red is my obvious choice.  Red is the first color of both our American flag and that of my home state.  Red is a predominant color in both Italian food, Mexican food, and of Bar B Q sauce – my favorite food groups.  Did I mention Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir?  Bloody Mary?
 
When I was a boy, our family Bible was printed with all Christ’ words in Red. Many important documents over the years have warnings and instructions in Red. Red says “Important! Take Notice!”  No matter what color we are on the outside, our blood, leaving our heart, filled with oxygen, is Red. Red is life.

And then, there is my beloved old Volkswagen Beetle convertible. Bright Red!  Oh, I could never part with it. Before my retirement, on a beautiful day, I might say to my wife, “I’m not going to work today. I think I’ll just put the top down, drive around and pick up chicks…” To which she would answer, “So, that means you’ll be home early, right?”
 
She is still my wife. That is still my car. Red is still my favorite color. I do not anticipate any changes. Thanks for asking… 



Choose a Color writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Choose a color and tell us why it'd be your choice.
Be it long or be it short; an essay, poem or song. Whatever, there are no restrictions, t'all.


Pity upon they who do not notice, or simply are not moved by the colors of our world. Color is just one more indication of our Master's love and desire to surround us with beauty.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Reese Turner All rights reserved.
Reese Turner has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.