General Fiction posted March 19, 2023 Chapters:  ...60 61 -62- 63... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
an essay

A chapter in the book Random Rhyme and Petty Prose

Unselfishness JJ DID TIE BUCKLE

by Bill Schott

 
 

Leadership Traits:
Justice, Judgement, Dependability, Initiative, Decisiveness, Tact, Integrity, Endurance, Bearing (previously addressed), Unselfishness, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, and Enthusiasm.

Unselfish leaders make decisions that benefit as many as possible and do things because it's the right thing to do, not because it personally enriches them somehow, or there is some special benefit to them.
 
That pretty much eliminates the politicians of this era, and likely any era.  
 
Leaders who perform unselfishly put others before themselves, ensuring that those who depend on his/her leadership do not come second.  
 
In a field environment, the leader eats last, ensuring all are fed. The leader assumes responsibilty that security is provided, even being one who holds vigil while others rest. The good leader is willing to take the brunt, to keep others from needless suffering.
 
The utilitarian concept provides that the needs of the many override the needs of the few, or the one. One can see this in any example of personal sacrifice that serves the majority. As dramatic and lethal as jumping on a grenade, to as simple as giving from one's need to benefit those even less fortunate.
 
According to Gerald Gillis, who writes and lectures on leadership:
" An unselfish leader is open to new ideas and concepts, and from a variety of sources. So very often the employees actually doing the work have the best ideas on how a particular process can be improved. Let others be the experts. Build the bench strength by developing technical and leadership skills in employees."
 
In other words, good leaders are willing and happy to let others' input and ideas contribute to the groups success.

Selfishness always aims at uniformity of type. Unselfishness recognizes infinite variety of type as a delightful thing, accepts it, acquiesces in it, enjoys it.     Oscar Wilde

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Recognized


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.